braking in boots

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Burgundy, Oct 1, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anybody have any goot tips for braking in new boots. That is apart apart from the obvious ones like walking in them for 20 miles or around the house.
    For example i once heard that standing in the bath with your boots on and flexing them in the water for 20mins makes them realy soft. Or is that a little white lie?

thanks

2. I didn't know that dyslexics could join our most esteemed officer corps.

3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Braking in boots is exactly the same as braking in shoes, trainers, gutties, bare feet etc. Apply foot to brake at an appropriate pressure - if this requires a change of gear then depress clutch and change gear appropriately (unless you are drining an automatic). OK?

4. Ha ha, very funny and totally unhelpful comments from LS and Auld-Yin. Why do people on this site always feel the need to take the mickey when presented with simple requests for information?

Burgundy - I too am off to Sandhurst soon and mentioned this problem to a serving friend of mine. Besides wearing them for an hour a day he suggested soaking them in a water mix. Basically leave them to soak for 30 minutes in a mixture of 1-part urine to 10-parts tap water plus about a teaspoon of salt. Apparently the salt will make the surface of the leather absorb boot polish more easily - so I presume you can leave out the salt if they are not military boots. Once they are dry you should find the urea has made the leather much more supple and you'll avoid getting blisters.

Hope this helps and maybe I'll see you at Sandhurst,

Tricam.

5. You will soon brake them in when you go for some nice little (oops did i say little i meant to say long ) runs in the cudds.It can be painfull but once you have done it and hardend the skin where the blisters were,hey presto your boots will be well and truely broken in . PS, dont forget to use plenty of polish to keep your boots in good order and they will look after your feet.

6. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Been asked before. Try here

7. I think your mate was taking the p*ss out of you tricam !!!!but another tip for burgundy,try washing your socks in johnsons baby oil.That helped me but my training staff said the best cure for soft feet was a good old tab and what do you know they are still stuck to the ends of my legs and working fine :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

8. Thanks Tricam that helps.

9. No worries Burgundy... let me know if it works....

When are you off?

Tricam.

10. I'm not off this year i'v got to finish my studies. i'm planning to go next year so i'm afraid you wont see me there. I wish i was going this year though i'm kinda jealous. i wanted to know about the boots because my friend and i often go hiking and my boots need replacing. will also come in handy for sandhurst when i go.

11. u beat me to it you barsteward!!

12. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

In answer to your comment and question, Auld-Yin gave a perfectly good explanation of how to 'brake in boots.'

We 'feel the need to take the mickey when presented with simple requests for information' when and only when these simple requests are either bone-headed or bone idle.

As a potential leader of men, do you not think that this question might have been asked before ?
    On a more appropriate forum ?

A simple search of the site will have thrown up a number of threads on boots.
    Scaryspice has been so kind as to indicate one of them.

Burgundy, you too think that you deserve the honour of commanding the finest soldiers in the world, was it too much like hard work to look for the answers ?
    If that is your attitude then change it now before it is changed by some very annoyed NCOs.

Leading men is the greatest honour you will receive, but you'd better be up to it.

13. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Good points by Cutaway.

Ladies and Gentlemen (though by and large the bone questions are asked by 'Gentlemen' for some reason). Before asking basic questions, do have a look around the site, because many of them will have been asked and answered before.

14. Completely off-thread!

FFS Tricam-

WTF is your avatar supposed to be?

It's driving me nuts trying to work out what it's supposed to be!!!!!! :lol:

15. ............and you say LS and Auld-Yin provided totally unhelpful comments. :lol: