Brain Tumour's and Signallers

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Bondi-Babe-Magnet, Apr 15, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry if this is the wrong section -wasn't sure where to put this. I'm looking for some advice and guidance.

I attended a funeral about two years ago for a young lad from my old Bn who had died from some sort of cancerous tumour. The lad was a Platoon signaller and the MOD admitted that his condition may have been linked to his time as a Signaller.
    Fast forward to the present and i recieved a message from a work colleague whose nephew has been diagnosed with a brain tumour -again the lad in question was a Plt Signaller.

The family are looking for some guidance. I don't know if any studies have been done into possible side effects from Bowman or if claims have been made against the MOD.

Would it be worth contacting the British Legion for any help ?

I don't know all the in's and out's of the story so for now it's just guidance the family are looking for. It could just be very bad luck but i'd like to know if anyone has heard of any other cases.
  2. I knew at least a couple of signallers, both BAOR, who died of brian tumours over the years. It really does make you wonder .....
  3. On the flip side, I know of serval lads who had brain tumours that were never involved in Sigs.

Just a coincidence maybe?
  4. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

5. Good point .....
  6. Some interesting food for thought and I'm not a coincidence believer. Interesting link BL . On a slightly lighter note I can remember a very dark evening in a drowned wood somewhere near Glentrool watching the platoon operators' hair (soaked) glow with little blue electrically bits as he transmitted on ?351/2? with the black boostery thing on. As I remember this was verboten and the booster was only to be used when static (grateful for any correction). I wondered then if this was affecting the old grey matter but as he was a rock-ape transferee to us I realised that was a non-concern. ( I mean seriously who would transfer from a life of luxury to PBAI!)
  7. EOD bleeps probably deal with the most powerful stuff chucking out the greatest radiation. Try looking in that area for a link.

Besides that it wouldn't just be limited to R.Sigs, think how much other units use comms, especially back over the last 60 years. Modern technology has reduced the rad haz.
  8. I know of 4 ex 14 Sigs bods who have got or had tumours, and I know of one R/Relay operator who passed away because of brain tumours. Not good