Brain teaser.

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Adam(KOS), Nov 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 3 MEN GO INTO A HOTEL.

THE MAN BEHIND THE DESK SAID THE ROOM IS£30.

SO EACH MAN PAID£10 AND WENT TO THE ROOM.

A WHILE LATER THE MAN BEHIND THE DESK REALIZEDTHE ROOM WAS ONLY£25 SO HE SENT THE BELLBOY TO THE MENS' ROOM WITH£5.

ON THE WAY THE BELLBOY COULDN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO SPLIT £5 EVENLY BETWEEN 3 MEN, SO HE GAVE EACH MAN £1 AND KEPT THE OTHER £2 FOR HIMSELF.

THIS MEANT THAT THE 3 MEN EACH PAID£9 FOR THE ROOM, WHICH IS A TOTAL OF £27, ADD THE £2 THAT THE BELLBOY KEPT =£29.

WHERE IS THE OTHERPOUND? :?

2. I have heard this before and if I remember correctly it is just one of them things that is mathematically impossible to solve.

Now must I remind you its friday, time to wind down ready for the weekend

3. Trick question - the £2 is part of what they'd paid, not extra.

And I worked that out when my dad told me it when I was 7.

2/10 - must do better

4. No the 3 men paid £8.33 each for the room and the waiter ripped em off for 67p each. Not quite the recommended 10% but close enough

5. Need to take away the £2 from £27 to give £25 which is what the hotel actually took, there is no missing pound. :D

6. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

But was v.a.at paid?

And more importantly, what were three men going into one room for? Is this something that should be investigated as possible gross indecency? or, more sinister, under the Prevention of Terrorism act? And will the Met storm the room, and one SO19 officer trip and 'accidentally' shoot one of them?
    And did the News of The World reporter 'make his excuses and leave'?

7. Correct. the others are wrong.

8. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Earth to stupid guy - hello!!!!

3 x 9 = £27. Bellboy nicks £2.

27 - 2 = £25.

Blokes pay £9 each, Bellendboy gets £2, hotel gets £25.

Fuck me, did you get caught out by the "Cool Cash" lottery ticket as well? :roll:

9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

You are all wrong.

The hotel charged £30.00 for the room, and then realised that it was three men occupying it. They wanted extra services, but the hotelier could only provide the bell-boy, so, they got a discount and the bellboy got £2 for services rendered.

The three men were later arrested and fined £500, but the video of the men with the bellboy earned them £3,000 over 6 months; none of which the hotelier, bellboy or police got.

The £3,000 was spent, £1,000 per man, buying cigarettes, phone cards and protection for 1 month in nick, whilst for the other 3 years, they each got bummed by 'Hairy Harry' for free.

One committed suicide, which left two; the second man was released at the end of his sentence and is now a rent-boy, which left just one, and he went a bit mental one day, killed another bloke and is now doing 25 as 'Hairy Harry's' b!tch.

All counted and correct sah!

Edited to add: Newsflash - Man number 2 got aids and died.

10. I have a hangover and a B in GCSE maths (modern, easy variety) and I can tell that it is not mathematically impossible. If it were, it would make currency exchanges rather more complicated.

That said I wasn't able to solve it until Fugly answered!

11. Where is this hotel?

£30 in fact £25 sounds very reasonable, does it have sky and room service is it a family room, or are all 3 men in one bed?

12. :clap: :D :clap:

13. completely wrong.

Man number 1 was so ashamed of his "antics" he became a baptist minister, devoting his life to spreading god's word in africa where he met Igor, a former russian soldier carrying the heavy burden of the atrocities he carried out in Chechnya, whereupon the two men fall in love Sumala, a young african mute girl. Worn down by teh constant rejection of Sumala, Igor takes his own life, Sumala dies of TB and man number 1 returns to the home village of Igor to lay his ghost to rest but finds the village in ruins, he then has a moment of clarity regarding the fluidity of life and sets about rebuilding the village.

Man number 2 becomes a famous poet and upon hearing the story of Igor, Man number 1 and Sumala, writes a popular novel and only tells of his connection to man number 1 on his death bed to his grandson who the sets out to find man number 3 to complete the circle, only to find that man number 3 was shanked by Hairy Harry's jilted lover in prison.

The bellboy is just a bellboy.

14. Sounds like the sort of literary tripe my wife reads!

15. Such a nice chap
    It's well known among mathematicians as an unsolved teaser expressed in $300 version although it has been simplified to a £30 version. ( with the likes of you in mind ) so put another way
    (When followed in the way it is presented the £1 is diffie)

Explain this

3 men give a cashier a £10 note each.

for an item they have gone 3rds on

The cashier then realises that the (said item) infact is only £25

So, he then takes the remaining £5 back to the 3 gents in £1 coins, which unfortunately can't be devided equally among 3 people.

He gives each man £1

then pockets £2

SO giving back £3, with £2 in his pocket making up the overpaid £5 Ok so far.

The three men have then paid £9 each, the cashier has £2

So, £9x3 men = £27 + the £2 in the cashiers pocket = £29 although they originally paid £30 and the cashier devided the overpaid £5

Where is the pound that makes the above £30 not £29???