Brain slippage - 15th from 3rd

Discussion in 'Education and Resettlement Courses' started by BoomShackerLacker, Sep 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm don't think the sums are as straightforward as they appear. I haven't read the full report (nor the breakdown of subjects) but is the country going to fall apart if we don't have another 10,000 media studies graduates? Probably not.

If Finland's demographic is such that 63% of all jobs are post-graduate, good for them. I'm not sure ours is.

It's far better that people train for a job in that they might actually contribute to the exchequer than do a pointless degree. As an example, my brother-in-law is bright but not academic, trained as a sparky and now owns his own company. He's minted. Are we saying his taxes don't contribute to the economy?
  2. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Worrying, and will only get worse if the proposed cuts to Science & Engineering Funding and Reasearch go through as well.
  3. Nonsense. My local "university" now offers a two year "degree" in engineering - electrical, mechanical or computer games. Best of all, you only need a C pass in GCSE maths to get in - who needs A levels.

Two years to get from GCSEs to a degree in engineering while less prestigious universities, like Cambridge, will take six.

And don't forget you only get lectures one afternoon a week so there's plenty of time for sleeping and self abuse.

Time the government stopped funding the Mickey Mouse degrees and recycled into the cash into fewer but better quality graduates. If you want a degree in Forensic Science with Tourism (I kid ye not) you should fund the whole thing yourself, like the Americans do.
  4. Good old Manchester Metropolitan.
  5. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Made me laff that did, No quite agree, my post was made with regard to proper Higher Education, not pseudo degrees, I would however like to see a more robust Apprenticship System in operation too eg 3-4year+ (16-21 y/os)
  6. Rick Stein's contribution to my taste buds I suspect were greatly advanced by his English degree IMO; if your arguments are true he should have done an FE Cookery course!? Sorry chaps your arguments are spurious at best.
  7. I think your first point sort of answers it self. If an english graduate is going to become a chef then why did he spend three years doing an irrelevant degree? Education for its own sake is all well and good but personnaly I think that can be done on their own chit. I as a tax payer have no interest in subsidising a student indulging himself in three years of intelectual mind-wanking.

A country only requires so many Art Historians/town planners/media luvvies/experts in medieaval basket weaving and witchcraft. I would rather see bursaries given students doing 'useful' hard degrees, subisidised by the tax payer (who will get a return on the investment) and those who want to just want spend three years 'doing uni' for 4 hrs a week.
  8. Is it because reading Browning engaged his spirit, enlarged his soul, and inspired his vision; whereas studying multiple ways to cook an egg in an FE Portakabin within RPG range of the nearest sink estate and studying alongside the bored and disinterested would have fried his soul (!)? I think it might have been!

The rest of your rationale is a little akin to Arkwright's Guide to Workhouse Morale; beast 'em till they bleed.

(No dissing noble FE cookery lecturers intended in the slightest!)
  9. A strawman argument, which deliberately ignores my points.

I made no mention of the standard of education just the relevance, and no mention of beasting people against their will just incentivising people to work hard at something useful. I simply don't think the tax payer should be funding 'spirit-enlargement' and 'mind-broadening'. Maybe when the country is rich beyond it wildest dreams we can afford these luxuries, but until that point there are other crocodiles closer to the canoe.
  10. Sounds like Bokanovsky's Process is in full swing; the Social Predestination Room where we produce good electricians, without aspiration.
  11. From Wikipedia: "A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position. To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by substituting a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position."

It appears that Wikipedia is, on this occasion absolutely correct, and you're the living example. I think you know what I am talking about but are deliberately avoiding it. You know I am not talking about a Brave New World, it is simply common sense that there should be some way of encouraging people to do a course which may be of use (I for example have not directly used my engineering degree - but plenty of the other course members did). What I am suggesting doesn't force anybody to take up or abandon any course of action.

Also the 'useful' degrees I am talking about are still academic courses aren't they? Isn't there quite a gap between doing a degree in electrical engineering which may encompass maths, physics, economics, business and management, and learning to rewire a house in a 'Social Predestination Room'?

I think we will probably have to agree to disagree.
  12. That's the last straw! Clearly I am not catching drifts at all.

As I am pretty sure you are determining what is and isn't "useful" in terms of a degree qualificashun? I am opposed to any State telling any Citizen what is or what isn't useful for their Journey. Not because the State, probably rightly, has a handle on what is eekanormically useful but on a principle that no State should seek to deny the individual their own free expression; certainly not in a Liberal Democracy. Really that's my opus magnum (white choccy version please). Otherwise we are not a Free Society, but a large Island Jail.

If you're not telling t'rest of us what is "useful" then my comprehension needs toning.
  13. Oo'er,that's making my head hurt,I'm just totally gobsmacked that you think,we do live in a Free society,and not a large Island jail? ;-)
  14. Back to work sluggard! ;-)