Brain Aneurysm - Help and Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by jimnicebutdim, Aug 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good Morning.

I'm posting this as I need some questions answered, and you guys are the professionals.

My Dad was taken into hospital on Thursday with a really bad headache, fever, numbness in the limbs and vomiting. Ambulance took him to our local hospital where he was given a CT scan, and the hospital decided to transfer him to a Neurological Unit.

He was diagnosed as having had an Aneurysm in the brain. He was operated on on Friday, and had a coil inserted into the Aneurysm via a cathater through the femoral artery.

He's now recovering slowly, and is still in fair amounts of pain.
    My Dad is 55, hasn't smoked for about 6 years, doesn't drink much and still fairly active. He has a fairly physical job. He's ex ACC as well.

The problem is that the Neuro Ward is very busy and the consultants appear to be rushing from one patient to the next. As a result, we've not been able to get any answers to our questions. Hopefully you'll be able to answer some:
    How long is the average recovery period?
    What are the future risks attached to an an Aneurysm?
    Is there things he will not be able to do again? (Sport, driving, heavy lifting etc)
    How much time will he need off work?
    As a family what can we do to speed his recovery/prevent future episodes/make him comfortable?

And finally, what is an Aneurysm? It was explained on the day of the Op by the surgeon but we were in so much of a daze after he'd gone through the risks etc, that none of us really heard anything.

Thanks very much for any help you can give.

2. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Pin the consultant down.

How would you know that the person on here is qualified to give you such advice? Steer clear of the internet when you require professional advice.
  3. An Aneurysm is much like the bulging of a blowout on a tyre, it has expanded, but not burst due to a weakness in the blood vessel, The coil is placed inside the weak area so as to re-inforce the blood vessel. All your other questions can only be answered by the surgeon, as each case is differant,

If it had burst ,then your dad would have had some kind of brain function loss, or death, this is much like what Gen Dannert had some years ago and he made a complete recovery, but each case is different, my friend had this some years ago and now is far fitter than before , the scare made him think,
  4. We will pin the consultant down when he is available, but seriously the ward is massively overstretched. Trying to get time with anyone who isn't an Auxilary or Agency Nurse is nigh on impossible.

I know that I'll need to take everything thats said with a pinch of salt, but all I'm after is some ballpark information. At the moment he is very depressed and if I can give him some good news such as "I've done a bit of research and from what I understand there is no reason we can't go out and buy the BMW/Triumph/fcuking great Toyota Pick-Up that you've always wanted" it will perk him up.

I would never take anything from any website as Gospel, but I also know that if someone posted total shite he would be shot down by the others user PDQ.

5. Some vids here which might help. Re the consultant. It is easy and understandable to be dizzy when confronted with this and that hay have made understanding him difficult. He will think he has dealt with the explanation. Write down all your questions. Make a copy and pass it to the consultant when you see him. Tell him those are your concerns and ask for his explanations. Most hospitals/Trusts have a Complaints Officer and it can help to have a non-formal talk to them explaining that what you want is answers and not a complaint procedure.
    All consultants are rushed off their feet and anything you can do that appears business like will encourage himto spend some time with you
    Best of luck with the outcome and the questioning
  6. Instead of spending time trying to find out how bad things are..........enjoy now with your dad.

The ramblings of people on here will only confuse you further and cannot be good for your extended family as you try to steer through a very difficult time. I have been through stuff such as this and it remains crucial to enjoy now and listen to the Consultant when they have formed an opinion. Don't rush them for answers as it may be too soon to comment.

All the very best on the recovery of your dad him the new car anyway.

7. I don't quite know what you're trying to achieve with this, mucker. The lad posted that he was just after general advice. I wish his Da all the best and a full recovery.

As far as you're concerned, it seems that we're good enough to keep our fellasses and fellas alive out in the field, but we only produce "ramblings" on our dedicated forum?

Take a stroll outside and have a fückin' word with yourself, fella.

8. Indeed.................... you're one of the ones I mentioned.

Professional help is needed by this chap - believe me I am qualified to say so - as for your agressive nonsense, I suggest you take it back to the NAAFI where you clearly belong.

And before you ask - yes...................I am one of those who spends real time in the field. Are you??
  9. This is not the place to get the advice you are looking for or the answers to your questions.

As OldRedCap said, make a list of the questions/concerns that you have and ask them when you see the team.

Speak to the ward staff and tell them that you want an appointment with either the consultant or the registrar for the team that are looking after your father. Do not take no for an answer as you are obviously concerned about things. Yes, they will be busy, but they should not be too busy to spend time with the concerned family of one of their patients.

If you get fobbed off, ask for the contact details for the General Manager for Neurosurgery and ask them to intervene on your behalf.
  10. Angry letters of complaint can help. When in the midst, they can be emotionally and mentally draining to write, but with all the time limits and quotas for complaints procedures the PCT's have to work to these days often they can at least raise the profile of your father's name in the ear of his consultant.

I have a great deal of sympathy for the over-stretched NHS and the brillant but overworked people who staff it, but if you feel you and your father are not getting the information you need for or about his care then in my experience and that of my family, disgruntled letters/faxes/phone calls phrased carefully in the right direction can at least flag you on their radar as they rush about. And keep a diary of it all, just in case. Sometimes unfortunately those who shout the loudest are the only ones who get heard.

Speedy recovery to your father.
  11. Every patient is different and the length of recovery for your Dad will depend on many different factors.
    As stated before you should write down a list of questions you wish to ask the Registrar or Consultant that way you won't forget to ask any of them.
    The only other thing to note is that as your Dads head has been opened up he is baned from driving for 1 year post op.
  12. I seem to attract folks like you! If you take the time to actually read (and comprehend) the main thrust of this lad's query, you'll notice (or not, as the case may be) that he's just after general details - "ballpark information", in his words.

In spite of your having vastly improved on the wheel and sundry other remarkable human inventions, you appear to have missed the point of the thread entirely. Which is not at all surprising, given that your singular objective was to demonstrate how totally superior you are to all the other pokey posters.

As said, have a serious word with yourself, fella.

13. DO NOT MAKE A COMPLAINT, that will only put the whole place on their guard and they will clam up, then you will have to deal with managment and not medical staff, write down your questions and give them to the consultant or find his secretary, and give it to them , you will often find this the best route. but try not to get involved with any form of complaint, until last resort
  14. Right.
    First dont go down the angry response. We get enough of that . Think out what you want answeres about, write them down and give it to the doctor/nurse.
    Next ask for a meeting, despite what you read here and elsewhere, teams are ameanable to meet with famillies but dont go in mob handed, one or two of you who can pass on the information are best.
    Then meet those who are going to rehab him, either at this hospital or his home hospital if he was transfered. For this I mean physios and OT (occupational therapists) and any rehab nurses. They will already be planning his future. Be definite and firm, going in with your back up gets everybody else's back up. Most relatives forget we are human too and respond according to how we are treated. You are best to talk to them they will have the answers.
    Other general sites to get answers ar "Dr Foster" BBC Medical or even the hospitals website. Sometimes they have FAQ pages.
    Good luck.

OK wrote all this before the other two but thats the essence of it
  15. Thanks for the advice so far. I think the letter route is the best course of action. On the driving point, his head was never opened, they went through the femoral artery in his leg. Would that make a difference. On a final note, if anyone knows the Army doc who was on duty in QA a+e on thursday please pass on my thanks to him and his civvy counterpart.