Brahn Boots?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Feck me, barely remember pic 1, I assume from all the added bells and whistles in pic 2 that it is muchos betterer?...

JB
nope you still can't fight properly with it.

shoots very well though.

JuniorBod

War Hero
No its a totally different " new " rifle and in no way just painted with some leftover married quarters misty buff emulsion.
You had that as well....

The boxheids were buggers for it...

You can have any colour you want = what flavour beige do you want?...

JB

Seem to recall our officers wore brown shoes with BD and SSM's wore brown boots with BD.Going back a bit,mind.

I've been in five years now and had brown boots from day one, although it's annoying that I got issued Haix and the new intakes are getting Altbergs!

What's odd about them? Brown boots came in with the introduction of MTP to replace DPM. It was recognised that black isn't really a colour that occurs in nature.

The SA80 is now also painted a coyote brown colour, rather than black.
Didn't the British Army wear brown boots all the way threw World War One and changed over to black in about 1920? Studies probably found brown boots made it harder for the German machine gunners to see our chaps, so to make it more sporting they changed to Black.

Boxy

GCM
Didn't the British Army wear brown boots all the way threw World War One and changed over to black in about 1920? Studies probably found brown boots made it harder for the German machine gunners to see our chaps, so to make it more sporting they changed to Black.
Something to with black polish being cheaper, so I believe ORs had black boots WOs and above Brown as an economy...I could be talking pish, it wouldn’t be the first time

Something to with black polish being cheaper, so I believe ORs had black boots WOs and above Brown as an economy...I could be talking pish, it wouldn’t be the first time
you got two pairs that were supplied in brown, one pair was required to be polished up black for parade, Brown dubbing on your general wear pair, moving on smartly, WWI, all brown, then some genius in the 20’s decided all boots would be black, probably a Guards Officer who liked the shiny look, they still stick with bulled Black boots.

Think yourself lucky you never had to experience the cardboard and plastic crap they issued in the 90's, apparently a rock hard plastic 1/4" thick sole wasn't bad enough and a insole made of plastic mesh with no arch support whatsoever was needed to really cripple you for life.
download (6).jpeg

Caused a lot of injuries and screwed people over just to save a few quid.

Last edited:

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Black is black, as someone once said.

Brown, however, comes in slightly nuanced shades, making it easier to determine the quality.

Is he in a unit of middle aged reservists based in Bath who have one of the best jobs in the army calling in vengence from the sky (hopefully not on our own side)?
Not quite, as our on site chap is always very helpful. No, it’s the QMs dept at our RHQ in Woolwich, where they don’t seem to understand that the needs of an uber-cool group of mighty warriors such as we are, differ from those of the Watchkeeper Pool.

Wait a minute.... middle aged! How dare..... oh, right.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Think yourself lucky you never had to experience the cardboard and plastic crap they issued in the 90's, apparently a rock hard plastic 1/4" thick sole wasn't bad enough and a insole made of plastic mesh with no arch support whatsoever was needed to really cripple you for life.View attachment 493875
Caused a lot of injuries and screwed people over just to save a few quid.
Yep. Buggered my career.

Latest Threads