Brahn Boots?

BTDT

Old-Salt
Today's Times has an article about the possible use of troops in controlling Covid19 lockdown. The generic photo shows soldiers wearing brown boots. I've been out a while but these look a bit odd. Enlighten me. please

Brahn Boots 2.jpg

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
What's odd about them? Brown boots came in with the introduction of MTP to replace DPM. It was recognised that black isn't really a colour that occurs in nature.

The SA80 is now also painted a coyote brown colour, rather than black.

I'd be more concerned someone creeping up at night and feeling the crossed-laces, especially if I was deployed in the Aldershot area.

I'd be more concerned someone creeping up at night and feeling my arse, especially if I was deployed in the Aldershot area.
FOC. (Times have changed.)

Bob65

War Hero
Today's Times has an article about the possible use of troops in controlling Covid19 lockdown. The generic photo shows soldiers wearing brown boots. I've been out a while but these look a bit odd. Enlighten me. please
It's been brown boots for a decade now. Green leather boots were also trialled according to an old Altberg catalogue I have!

One bloke is wearing Altberg, one is wearing Karrimor.

The Karrimor boot is very good, I have a pair and I'm more than happy with them.

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
1955 orders, were strictly banning 'turned leather' suede shoes, would even be pulled up when passing the guard house out in civvies! Never owned a pair myself!

Yep, nothing new. I wore brown boots with MTP and I retired in 2014!

We were given a choice of (I think) 2 or 3 different types, which was quite nice, and the first time in 20 odd years!

JuniorBod

War Hero
Yep, nothing new. I wore brown boots with MTP and I retired in 2014!

We were given a choice of (I think) 2 or 3 different types, which was quite nice, and the first time in 20 odd years!
Luxury lad....

After Dems Ma Shoes (DMS), moved on to Boots Cardboard Horrible (BCH) and bugger all else...

Oh forgot the two tantalising issues of Wellies, Desert....

JB

One assumes that the bullet leaving the rifle of someone wearing brown boots will still cause fatal results so.... Times change and that’s how it is!

It’s still black boots for wearing with No 2’s etc isn’t it?

The MOD must have plenty of money for all the footwear required to dress a soldier these days!

That’s not knocking it in the sense that it’s good to see troops being looked after but for those old timers, it does seem a remarkable change from what we were used to back in the day.

BTDT

Old-Salt
What's odd about them? Brown boots came in with the introduction of MTP to replace DPM. It was recognised that black isn't really a colour that occurs in nature.

What is the Army coming to? Next thing you know they'll be allowing women and homosexuals to join.

One assumes that the bullet leaving the rifle of someone wearing brown boots will still cause fatal results so.... Times change and that’s how it is!

It’s still black boots for wearing with No 2’s etc isn’t it?

The MOD must have plenty of money for all the footwear required to dress a soldier these days!

That’s not knocking it in the sense that it’s good to see troops being looked after but for those old timers, it does seem a remarkable change from what we were used to back in the day.
Not really. The only people who are wearing black ammo boots are those on Palace duties, everyone else wear black shoes. Yep, there is patent leather versions of both in the system. Warrants and Officers still wear brown shoes obviously

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Racist ,Wicked Racist !!

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I was lucky and got a pair of altbergs in the first issue of brown boots, so they are actually altbergs Apparently the mass produced versions arent of the same quality.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer

OK, I'll be duty mong.

When was the "SA80" painted black?

Latest Threads