• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Brady reveals location of Bennet body.

And a 49 year old woman arrested? Too young to have been involved in the act, could it be that this came out some time ago and the "visitor" has kept his confidence?

Moors Murderer Ian Brady has revealed information about where one of his victims, 12-year-old Keith Bennett, is buried, detectives believe.

Greater Manchester Police said officers think Brady gave details to a long-term visitor to his psychiatric hospital.

Police said a woman had been arrested in south Wales on suspicion of preventing the lawful burial of a body.

Brady and Myra Hindley murdered five children between 1963 and 1965. Keith Bennett's is the only body never found.

They kidnapped, tortured and murdered the children, whose bodies were buried on Saddleworth Moor near Manchester.

Brady, 74, was jailed for life in 1966 at Chester Assizes for the murders of John Kilbride, 12, Lesley Ann Downey, 10, and Edward Evans, 17.

Hindley, who died in prison in November 2002, aged 60, was given a life sentence for the murders of Lesley Ann and Edward and for shielding Brady after John's murder.

In 1987 they admitted killing Keith and 16-year-old Pauline Reade, whose bodies had not been found. Both were taken back to Saddleworth Moor to help police find the remains of the missing victims but only Pauline's body was found.

A Greater Manchester Police spokesman said: "On 30 July 2012, Greater Manchester Police received information that led officers to believe that Ian Brady had recently given details of the location of Keith Bennett's body to one of his long-term visitors.

"Officers in the cold case unit made inquiries to the accuracy of this report and have since had extensive contact with Ashworth hospital and Keith's close family.

"As a result, warrants obtained under the Police and Criminal Evidence Act were executed at Ashworth hospital and a private address in South Wales.

"A 49-year-old woman has been arrested in South Wales on suspicion of preventing the burial of a body without lawful exercise and remains in police custody for questioning. Searches of both locations are ongoing."
BBC News - Ian Brady 'gives location details' about Keith Bennett's body

If Brady couldn't remember where he'd left the body when he was taken to the site in 1987, what chance is there that he'd remember 25 years later. Chances are that the prison visitor knows no more than Brady has already told the Police.

He had nothing to lose by showing where the body was, given that he'd already admitted to the killing.

I suspect that there'd be more chance of locating the body using modern ground radar techniques than there would be by quizzing the visitor.

I suspect that there'd be more chance of locating the body using modern ground radar techniques than there would be by quizzing the visitor.
I doubt you'd have much chance of finding a body on moorland with GPR, even if you 'knew' where it was buried. There's not enough reflection from human bone to pick it up against the background. Other geophysical techniques are just as unlikely to get results: its too damp for resistivity to be efective and the remains are not likely to be magnetised enough for magnetometry.

Forensic archaeologists (and every other typo of 'ologist' you can imagine) have spent years off and on looking for the missing body but as you can imagine, the moor is a big place and it all looks very similar once you're off the beaten track.

If Brady couldn't remember where he'd left the body when he was taken to the site in 1987, what chance is there that he'd remember 25 years later. Chances are that the prison visitor knows no more than Brady has already told the Police........................................................................
I believe Brady could take the police to the body, if he wanted to. Strikes me he's a sadistic b*****d and this is the only thing he has to give him "power" over others.
If (unlikely) the family stated they had given up on finding the body it would IMHO be a blow to Brady's ego.

I doubt you'd have much chance of finding a body on moorland with GPR, even if you 'knew' where it was buried....

Forensic archaeologists (and every other typo of 'ologist' you can imagine) have spent years off and on looking for the missing body but as you can imagine, the moor is a big place and it all looks very similar once you're off the beaten track.
I seem to remember an RAF Canberra being used in 1987 search. No idea what sort of imaging they were using.

Not many years ago there was speculation in the press that the body may not be on Saddleworth Moor anyway. Staffordshire was mentioned.

I seem to remember an RAF Canberra being used in 1987 search. No idea what sort of imaging they were using.
From ATC camp at Wyton in... '85 I think it was. Something to do with taking photos using different kinds of film, at least one of which is outside the visible spectrum. Graves, even very old ones release gas and it marginally changes the passage of light above them, so the images will be very slightly different in the area of a grave.

I believe Brady could take the police to the body, if he wanted to. Strikes me he's a sadistic b*****d and this is the only thing he has to give him "power" over others.
If (unlikely) the family stated they had given up on finding the body it would IMHO be a blow to Brady's ego.
Brady's a proper psychopath and this is all about power.

However I very much doubt that Brady could take them to the body now. It's a peat moorland that will look nothing like what it did 45-50 years ago due to erosion. A general area, yes, the actual site not a chance.

All this crap about a secret letter is just that 'Crap',,is it just a coincidence that the news of this so called letter is released today and the TV channel at the centre of the whole affair just happen to be showing a documentary on the same subject on Monday night,,whole thing is just a publicity stunt to gain more viewers without a thought about Winnie Johnson's feelings in this whole sorry affair..They should be ashamed.

Yours Disgusted from Failsworth.

All this crap about a secret letter is just that 'Crap',,is it just a coincidence that the news of this so called letter is released today and the TV channel at the centre of the whole affair just happen to be showing a documentary on the same subject on Monday night................................

Maybe so. However it wouldn't surprise me if he did write a letter "to be opened on his death" saying he would take the location of the body to his grave. Just his way of hurting the family further.
While the family care, he will enjoy exercising his power over them.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru

However I very much doubt that Brady could take them to the body now. It's a peat moorland that will look nothing like what it did 45-50 years ago due to erosion. A general area, yes, the actual site not a chance.
It'll just be a bit of fun for him, power, pleasure or whatever he gains by it, nobody will know. I'm sure you're right it'll probably lead to nothing. I think we've been here before with the other creature.

He should have been euthanised, his brain removed and posted to a medical research facility. At 74 this **** is endeavouring to have his murdering carcass despatched to Scotland where he can live out his remaining years.

The current scenario is yet another move in his mental chess game to initiate his plan. I'd waterboard the bastard as a start.

All this crap about a secret letter is just that 'Crap',,is it just a coincidence that the news of this so called letter is released today and the TV channel at the centre of the whole affair just happen to be showing a documentary on the same subject on Monday night,,whole thing is just a publicity stunt to gain more viewers without a thought about Winnie Johnson's feelings in this whole sorry affair..They should be ashamed.

Yours Disgusted from Failsworth.
I'd assumed that there must be a book coming out, timed to coincide with Plod digging up the remains; I didn't know about a documentary.

I'd think it went something like this;
Prison visitor befriends Brady and gets some disclosures for book/documentary.
Details are supplied to Plod shortly before book/documentary is released.

Mr Plod; "And when did he tell you this?"
Prison visitor/journo; "Oh, about X months ago."
Mr. Plod. "You're nicked."

Awaiting developments.

Latest Threads