BPFA Press-Ups

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by montmorency, Sep 8, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Erm i go to Sandhurst next week ie. Sunday! and have done 3 BPFA's this week as a sort of test week before the 'real one' at Sandhurst I passed all three . I can do the run in between 8.40 and 8.50 which i gather is a reasonable time - but my press ups and sit-ups lag beind. I can do the req. 44 in about 1min 30 but have nothing left to get any more out. Sit ups are better doing about 60. I know i'll improve during training - any tips for squeezing a couple more out. Should i rest now or continue to work till i get there?
  2. if pti aint watching cheat

oh and sit ups try getting feet not held for first minute and held for second uses stomach and legs then
  3. lol - so the adage Swerve to Lead rather then Serve to Lead really is true. I assume Integrity goes out of the door as soon as you walk into the gym??
    Still i guess a pass is a pass regardless of how you got it!
  4. see you there
  5. your plt sgt is gonna be carrying u if you pass anyway so might as well take the easy route.
  6. skive to survive baby skive to survive
  7. Do your press ups like this:
    A set of 12, rest, set of 11, rest, set of 10 rest etc etc.

Doesnt say you have to keep knockin them out does it? If you do this you should end up with about 55 in the bag. Try it and see if you can start at 13 or whatever, but as the guys say, it is the basic test (sorry assessment) and you should be able to walk it or did you unexpectedly get told you were going to RMAS?
  8. A bit of advice I got from the SMI for S & NI was to pace yourself with press-ups and sit ups. this worked well. What he suggested was start by doing sets of tens then as you get tired sets of 5.

I did this for my BPFA last week and it worked well for me as I was struggling to reach the required press-ups.

I did 10 press-ups rested for 5-10 seconds, repeating this till I had done 30. Then groups of 5 resting for 3-4 seconds in between. This gave me plenty time to complete the press-ups comfortably and correctly. The worst thing you can do it beast it at the start and knacker your arms so much that they can't recover properly.

9. All true and biologically sound - muscle fatigue is cumulative and recovery rate is exponential to this. A failure set is the worst thing you can do (on a test) if you're not a press-up nerd. I can't do more than 45 "in a row" or continuous movement as they call it, but splitting sets allows me to do almost twice this number in 2 minutes. Some people have a natural aptitude for upper body endurance and just rack off press-ups from the get-go; don't let them affect your stride (if you find one that works for you..).