Discussion in 'Travel' started by chrisg46, Jul 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

A mate of mine has stated his intention to travel through eastern europe, starting with Bosnia and ending with Poland. No doubt it is just to see the sights and architecture, but i know he has certain interest in the "modern film industry" as he calls it...

Anyway, when he mentioned Bosnia, my first thought was advise he stays on the road at all time.
    Is this good advice? UK forces have left Boz now i beleive, so what is it like out there? Is there still a valid mine threat? If so, are they marked? Any pleasant places to go?
  2. These days the main threat to life and limb are ON the roads - Bosnian drivers - especially down in Republika Srpska. There are memorials to dead motorists every few hundred yards.

Yes there are mines, but not in places that most sensible tourists would visit.

I can recommend MOSTAR and SARAJEVO. Both fantastic.
  3. Definitly Sarajevo, spent a few nights there on the pish (illegal of course). Stay in the Holiday Inn, cant miss it and quite resonable. Just dont try and stay when there is some Balkans Conference on or you wont have a hope in hell of getting a room, but there are some nice small hotels nearby.
    As for Bosnias previous troubles, you can go round central Sarajevo and not even see any evidence of it. But around the outskirts there are very large cemetries and abandoned buildings. Saying that though, the Holiday Inn still has bullet holes in the outside walls!
  4. You mean the Holiday Inn that puts everyone in mind of an egg banjo? Although with the bullet holes, I daresay it puts me more in mind of watching Spongebob Squarepants.