Boys names

OK, looking for some half serious answers here. My wife isn't actually pregnant, though we did have an "oh shit" moment recently, so in case it happens before it's supposed to we're working out kiddy names. Girls are sorted - boys are a problem. I have suggested the following and had them rejected (most reasons are given). So, can you suggest any great names for boys?

Jonathon - I rejected, with my surname I am not naming my child a penis.

Horatio - "Just no" apparently

Nelson - see above

Erwin (Rommel) - "No-one has been named Erwin since the second world war" (where does she think I got the name?)

Bernard - She doesn't go to Montgomery, she thinks "stupid name - and he's always the twat in Richard Curtis films).

Winston (Churchill) - too gangster, or you call your dog that name.

Dwight (Eisenhower) - both agree, too redneck hick.

Edmund (Blackadder) - Apparently not

Hugh (Laurie) - Not sure why she rejected this one?

Stephen (Fry) - "Really?"

Arthur (Wellesey) - "why do you want our child born 50 years ago?

Can't go with "William" (slim) as that's already taken in our family.

So, boys names with some historical merit? Or just get a new wife?

"Harold" (Alexander) - Thought this would be a winner as he was also a governer general of Canada (wife Canadian) - also a no apparently...

Mrs I is due to drop the sprog in 4 weeks! Gulp!

I have been very much in the same position as you, I want a nice name with some historical overtones if poss.

My suggestions so far -

Richard (Richard the Lionheart), although to be called Dick after my father - Nope, not allowed according to the Kremlin.

Henry (Henry V - Slaughterer extrodinaire of the the French) - Again, just a plain no!

Hector - "You have got to be fecking kidding right?"

All she can come up with is Oliver or Tarquin! FFS

It's all gonna end in divorce!

Hector is out but Tarquin is allowed? Thats makes no sense!

I always considered Hercules a good name for a boy....

Llywarch
Osian
Eifion Wyn
Glyndwr
Iorwerth
Llyr
Dewi
Clwyd
Matholwch

Some fairly common names where I come from. :lol:

North of the Border it is quite a common practice to use old family surnames as first names for boys..

Cameron, Wilson or Douglas for example...

Call it Number 1. Then call your next child Number 3. When they get old enough to understand things and start to question where number 2 is, say that he disappeared for annoying mummy and daddy.

Original kid's names and no misbehaviour, ever.

Good plan.

What's your first name Crabby Minor?
It could be soddoff sir..
Why?
Because when I used to introduce my self to the other kids when i was little, i would say " Hello my name is Crabby !", and they would say "we know... sodoff Crabby !"

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Any king's name should suit. James, George, Charles, Arthur, William, Alfred, Stephen, John, Richard and Philip should all meet your wife's stringent requirements.

Or old English names, Aidan, Edred, Ethelred ....

Or go biblical - Mark, Joel, Simon, Peter, Matthew, Luke, Amos, Joseph, John, Seth, Nathaniel (Nat), Andrew are all suitable.

Avoid Phaedipedes, Alexander, Ajax, Jason ...

Grownup_Rafbrat said:
Any king's name should suit. James, George, Charles, Arthur, William, Alfred, Stephen, John, Richard and Philip should all meet your wife's stringent requirements.

Or old English names, Aidan, Edred, Ethelred ....

Or go biblical - Mark, Joel, Simon, Peter, Matthew, Luke, Amos, Joseph, John, Seth, Nathaniel (Nat), Andrew are all suitable.

Avoid Phaedipedes, Alexander, Ajax, Jason ...
Not a chance - she is/was a bible basher and having spent 90 minutes bored stiff in church today she can go fcuk herself (or half of Canada for all I care) if she wants to call it a biblical name. Also four of the best biblical names are already taken in our families.

Charles is a no go - stupid eared twat and two useless kings. George could be an option - I'll find some bottle bravery and try it. She's already said no to Arthur and Richard and my surname means "John" is not an option.

crabby said:
OK, looking for some half serious answers here. My wife isn't actually pregnant, though we did have an "oh s***" moment recently, so in case it happens before it's supposed to we're working out kiddy names. Girls are sorted - boys are a problem. I have suggested the following and had them rejected (most reasons are given). So, can you suggest any great names for boys?

Jonathon - I rejected, with my surname I am not naming my child a penis.

Horatio - "Just no" apparently

Nelson - see above

Erwin (Rommel) - "No-one has been named Erwin since the second world war" (where does she think I got the name?)

Bernard - She doesn't go to Montgomery, she thinks "stupid name - and he's always the twat in Richard Curtis films).

Winston (Churchill) - too gangster, or you call your dog that name.

Dwight (Eisenhower) - both agree, too redneck hick.

Edmund (Blackadder) - Apparently not

Hugh (Laurie) - Not sure why she rejected this one?

Stephen (Fry) - "Really?"

Arthur (Wellesey) - "why do you want our child born 50 years ago?

Can't go with "William" (slim) as that's already taken in our family.

So, boys names with some historical merit? Or just get a new wife?
Sorry about that, I can do a second appointment next week - no charge. OK?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
armchair_jihad The Intelligence Cell 10
E Lonely Hearts 13
1 The Intelligence Cell 15