Boyfriend in the Army, is it worth moving?

My Masters is in Museum Studies and Heritage and finishes up in December, which will be a couple of months after he finishes his training. A handy Masters to have as museums are pretty much anywhere, so I know that there will be potential opportunities for myself, no matter where I end up. This is why I've been pretty open to heading over. I've actually never considered that option, but I'm not too sure about living at a different location within the UK by myself as my primary reason for moving would be for him. My career is pretty adaptable whereas his isn't, so it has always made sense that I'm the one to make the move to him, which I don't mind doing.
Other than the financial standpoint, one of the most off-putting factors is if I make the move over there, and I still don't get to see him any more often than I would if I were in NI. By that logic, it would just make sense for me to stay at home.
It's actually really helpful to hear that your wife made the decision to move and it obviously paid off. Nice to hear something positive.
I say “do it!”. The world needs mad, impetuous people. Find a way and make it happen.

Mattb

LE
Did you miss this bit?

If you’re struggling to provide the evidence needed, then your soldier can register your relationship with their unit HR, so you can qualify after a 12-month period following that registration.’
Yes, to be honest.

Seems reasonable.

RTU'd

LE
My Masters is in Museum Studies and Heritage
Does this include conservation as that is what most museums look at these days.
Looking after them physically is very important as it gets punters through the door to look at them.
Is the MA/MSc with a good, reputable university as this helps?

Ayatollah

Old-Salt
Genuine question,
As Females in the British Forces are not allowed to be front-line troops, how can a female Soldier be a Paratrooper? Come to that how can a Naval Female serve on a warship or a Lady Pilot / Aircrew fly fighters and bombers etc ?
As I have said before it's been a long time since my service days and by God have things changed!

Did you miss this bit?

If you’re struggling to provide the evidence needed, then your soldier can register your relationship with their unit HR, so you can qualify after a 12-month period following that registration.’

Or even:

Your soldier can also present their case to chain of command if they don’t yet have the evidence listed :)

Good for you, I literally read it for the first time this afternoon.

Doesn’t change my point.

Read the list of things (other than procreation) that prove you have a long-term relationship - almost all of them require you to share an address.

By my reckoning the below in bold, are considerably less than almost all!
  • Mortgage or tenancy documents showing joint ownership or rental of a property
  • A birth certificate of a natural child showing the names of both partners
  • Proof of adoption of a child showing the names of both partners
  • Proof of joint responsibility for a child
  • Joint bank account
  • Proof of financial support to the other partner, including the transfer of funds home to a partner overseas (i.e. for Foreign & Commonwealth families)
  • Proof that both partners’ names are on the Electoral Roll at a shared address
  • A Council Tax bill for the same property in joint names
  • Loan documentation of major assets such as homes, cars or major appliances in both partners’ names
  • Utility bills in both names
  • Life Insurance that shows a partner as the beneficiary
  • Two separate utility bills (one in each individual’s name) that evidences the same address.
But maybe I am reading it wrong ^~

cowgoesmoo

Old-Salt
Genuine question,
As Females in the British Forces are not allowed to be front-line troops, how can a female Soldier be a Paratrooper? Come to that how can a Naval Female serve on a warship or a Lady Pilot / Aircrew fly fighters and bombers etc ?
As I have said before it's been a long time since my service days and by God have things changed!
Women have been allowed in front line roles since 2016, do keep up!

Stay where you are, you have friends and family in NI moving to mainland could leave you isolated

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Women have been allowed in front line roles since 2016, do keep up!
@Ayatollah ...aaand women have been able to be pilots for over two decades. Several have written books noting that a) they are a pilot, and b) they are a woman. As for how they can do it, I think it's with their arms and legs, but I'm not a pilot myself so not certain.

It does seem a bit chicken and egg though, as essentially you need to share a private house first, before becoming eligible for SFA - which isn’t really going to help a pte living in SLA(M) and a partner struggling to afford UK property.

I suppose that he could get all his mail delivered to hers, and technically live in NI for a bit.

That’s covered - they have already lived together

(we lived together before he left)

Does this include conservation as that is what most museums look at these days.
Looking after them physically is very important as it gets punters through the door to look at them.
Is the MA/MSc with a good, reputable university as this helps?

That has filtered into the conversation and i've been in contact with museums in the Colchester area to discuss opportunities following graduation. I'd preferably not go anywhere until I have something to do over there, myself. The last thing I want is to go to England and essentially spend my days waiting for him to come home.
However, on the other side of the coin, even in NI jobs have been effected by Covid. I'm not guaranteed a well paid position even if I do stay at home.
And yes, the University is very reputable and they put a lot of work into employability within the course. Anyone I know who has graduated from it now works within the field, so I quite fancy my chances.

Latest Threads