Boyes AT Rifle

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by ugly, Feb 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

2. Apparently, the ammunition is worth more than the weapon nowadays!

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

You can still own and fire them in Canada and NZ! That is if you can get ammo!
    part 3

4. Lots of info

The Rifle, Anti-Tank, .55in, Boys commonly known as the Boys or often and incorrectly Boyes Anti-tank Rifle was a British anti-tank rifle. There were two main types, an early model (MK I) which had a circular muzzle brake and T shaped bipod, and a later model (Mk II) that had a square muzzle brake and a V shaped bipod. There were also different cartridges, with a later one offering better penetration.

Boys AT Rifle

5. That was the M82 Barrett of WW2

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

No I'll think you'll find that was the milan or javelin or even 84mm of its day. Inf then didnt have anything else and the barrat wasnt designed to destroy what were classed as Infanty tankks which is what the Boys was designed for.
    36 lbs only to be carried for short distances eh? never mind the bleedin 84 I tabbed miles with that!

7. Suppose so

But then again, I think the PIAT Launcher or the Panzershreck would be the Carl Gustav/MILAN/Javelin of that time

Ever seen the WW1 13mm T Gewehr?

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Yes I have and its a monster, the Boys was the weapon of its day and therefore it was the PIAT of its day too. Only relegated for use against Japs and Macdonald Fraser relates using the PIAT in Burma only once.
    I know someone who did a demo for them before the barrat was available and he still shudders at the recollection.

10. The 20mm Solothurn S-18-100 was just a bit OTT: but worked!

Attached Files:

11. IIRC: that monster was based on a 20mm AA cannon. You put your mag in, aimed, held on and prayed.

No wonder some versions where mounted on carts, like the Soviet Maxim.

12. Many moons ago when I was about 12 and used to help out at a tank museum I was given a Boyes and made to sit in the gunners seat of a Bren carrier.... happy days :)

No know it was a Mk1 as remember the crew T tripod and round muzzle break!

Was longer than I was tall and the blokes had used up all the ammunition the year before and wouldn't even let me have any blank... (well I was 12!!)

13. Please don't tell me that. I'm sure I destroyed about 20 rounds for that weapon (or similar) a few years back.

14. I've fired a Boys.

We had an officer whose brother was an arms dealer and allowed to keep such funnies. One TA weekend we set up a jolly jape, I appeared fresh from a course and unveiled the new inf/arty projectile weapon. One blank round into the Boys. a nifty detonation of 1lb of PE and a gallon of petrol at 300m and lots of very impressed people.

15. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

And in the UK if one has access to the required ranges.