Boycott Ryanair

Irishranger

1. This idea that once you cross the border you enter into a no-go area populated only by gun-toting Provos (and no doubt leprechauns!) is naive.

Depends what direction you're heading! ;D

2. Don’t forget the only perpetrators of the Omagh bombing brought to justice were tried in the Irish Court, since British Anti-Terrorist legislation is far too soft.

I disagree with you, in that it's not the legislation that is too soft.  The means to prosecute are there, the political will is not.  :mad:

E

error_unknown

Irish "ranger"

Get off your high horse and stop being hyper sensitive.

"Irish-hater/xenophobic/racist/anti-Irish/offensive" - my arrse.

Security and Irish issues aside,  :mad:  I find it extraordinary that a student card is accepted as a recognisable form of ID, strikes me its a lot harder to get hold of an MOD90 than one of those.

What happens if you are traveling on a NATO travel order, a document that will give you access to any NATO country when accompanied with a valid MOD90 (i.e. a perfectly acceptable substitute for a passport by immigration agencies across the world). Presumably they would still send you away.  ???

The whole ID issue laughable;  ;D I cant now recall which news program it was (although I think it was the BBC 6 O’clock) recently demonstrated how to get false ID, they managed to get a driving license and other documents in the name of David Blunkett! Great security asking for a driving license at check-in!

Sadly since Ryan Air have recently taken over Buzz it will be difficult for the BAG soldiers to boycott the company, however I fully recommend Air Berlin who will take an MOD 90, shame its a German Company. :(

So, abc, irishranger is accused by you of being hyper sensitive for reacting angrily to people who have suggested that the very fact of being an Irish national means there is an instant link to terrorists - are you going to make the same accusation to those who have gone stratospheric because one (OF MANY) organisations doesn't believe the MOD90 to be a secure enough means of identification?...........thought not.

The pubs in some garrison towns will not accept MOD90 as proof of age because there are so many FAKE MOD90s swilling around the town................think on that for a second or three......

Just a quick one for abc and irishranger.  Of the many scumbags (terrorists of domestic persuasions) I have/have had the misfortune of dealing with, both day to day and over the years very few are "Irish nationals". (technically at least)  The majority of the really bad boys are Norn Irish - either "republicans" or "loyalists".
abc - quite a few over the years have also been from your side of the water. (Sean McStiofain?").
irishranger - don't get your knickers in a twist over the rantings of a couple of ignorant gobshites who, granted should know better.  
If and when you arrive into our glorious organisation, you'll find they're in a minority.  Indeed, if you read the comments posted, the majority cannot be described in any way as racist.  General banter aside, the vast majority of "brits" I've worked with have been no more racist towards Irishmen/women than they have been towards scousers/brummies/jocks/geordies.  Just praise the lord you're not Welsh!  

nurse

War Hero
Well Irish Ranger I take it you are FCA?
If you think I hate the Irish  you are very wrong. I do hate the hipocracy of the Irish who support the war against terrorism so long as it IGNORES what goes on in IRELAND.
 To quote mr Adams 'they haven't gone away'. the IRA are still targeting, training and recruiting as are the Loyalist terrorists. So far this year the new administration has been rocked by a series of spying cases comming to light. Thease have been senior civil servants who probably have HIGH clearences who have turned out to be IRA inteligence officers. So how many of them are out there well another one is alledgedley in the prison service.  So the IRA inteligence machine rolls on thats one of the reasons using military ID for things away from the military is a BAD idea. I only use mne to enter military installations.

Well Irish Ranger I take it you are FCA?
And proud of it!

If you think I hate the Irish  you are very wrong.
I certainly never meant to give the impression that I thought you did. I aimed the “Irish-hater” comments at posts further down the thread. Nevertheless I stand by my assertion that your views on Irish airlines are somewhat mistaken.
I do hate the hipocracy of the Irish who support the war against terrorism so long as it IGNORES what goes on in IRELAND.
I think we all hate terrorist sympatisers, regardless of their views on Saddam et al.

So the IRA inteligence machine rolls on thats one of the reasons using military ID for things away from the military is a BAD idea.
If the IRA can get spies into the Civil Service and Prison Service they can certainly get them into British Airways or British Midland. Don't pick on the Irish company!
If and when you arrive into our glorious organisation, you'll find they're in a minority.  Indeed, if you read the comments posted, the majority cannot be described in any way as racist.  General banter aside, the vast majority of "brits" I've worked with have been no more racist towards Irishmen/women than they have been towards scousers/brummies/jocks/geordies.
Friendliness and hospitality have been the only experiences I've had while on Fam Visits, RCB Briefing, etc. I don’t expect this to change if I manage to scrape a place in Sandhurst! In hindsight the line about Irish-haters was aimed at a few but it's offended many so I apologize.  

Irishranger bloke - give it a wee while and you'll soon pick up on the fine line between offence and winding up.  An especially good tool for getting on the tits of arrogant brits!  ;D

nurse

War Hero
Glad to see another reservist from the emerald isle even if it is south of the border ;D

I agree with what you say about them getting spies into other airlines. Thats why I don't use military ID  on any airline.

If you are joining get used to being called a boggy etc there is no malice in it. Just give as good as you'll get and accept that you'll get some stick.

BTW what is the daily rate of pay in the FCA now?

Here's a spanner in the cogs.  My Da flys to Dublin twice a year.  He uses his OAP bus pass as ID !!  And they accept it !!  Good old Ryanair.  I can't knock 'em cos I use them every year too, and although it is 'cattle shed' airways, compared pricewise to Airlingus, you just can't deny that if Ryan offer a seat at £10, and Airlingus want £100, which one would you pick ??

I was queing to book into a flight the other day and an Irish bloke pushed to the front of the line. He asked the girl behind the counter "How long does it take to fly from Heathrow to New York?"
The agitated attendant looked up and said "Just a minute sir!"
To which paddy replied "Tanks very much" and walked off!

Purple_Flash

ADC
Glad to see another reservist from the emerald isle even if it is south of the border ;D

And there are shock, horror, even Regulars from the South as well!  We get everywhere, even if the English version of Guinness is truly a disgusting concoction!

Nurse, if I'd have known your fondness for the Irish, I would have tried chatting you up!   8)

This thread gives me deja vu - I am sure I have posted this elsewhere on the site but here goes.

Chap and I went were going with a gang of pals with Ryanair to Scotland from Stansted last summer.  This was at a time before Ryanair were making it plain that they required specific types of ID for internal flights.  In the end, we could not go because chap only had his MoD card on him.  But apart from the fact they never made it clear when we booked (and all the things others have mentioned, above), what made me angry was....

a) their attitude to the whole thing - staff were very rude and offhand.  Totally unprofessional.  
b) the fact that they were prepared to accept a student card as ID (when this far easier to forge/buy than an MoD card).     :mad:

Chap found out from airport police that they are not allowed to use police warrant cards either and had seen tons of people getting angry about it all. The same day, they had a marine who had was on leave from Afghanistan and was heading to Scotland to be best man at a wedding.  He was turned away too.

Mr Happy

LE
MOD90 for flights as passport substitute.  Have used repeatedly between UK and Germany over last few years.  No problems (but always carried passport as back up just in case).  Ryan, BA, Buzz, Luftwaffe.  Ditto channel crossings with Eurotunnel, P&O.

RYANNAIR:  Don't like them, false economies in the savings (eg. weird airports hours from where you want to be by an irregular bus which you still have to pay for), often late, travelling takes ages and costs far more than initial estimates.  Fly BA or Virgin and wear UJ boxers whilst you are at it.

Latest Threads