Boycott Ryanair

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by woopert, Feb 10, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

2. ******* arrseholes - shit service for far too much money.  Budget airline my arrse.

3. whilst I think what Ryan Air did was wrong. I would have to say that using an mod 90 in this situation is also wrong. As far as I'm aware it is not on the list of approved documents for identification on internal flights.
    A passport or a driving licence is. The fact that Ryan air is also a Southern Irish based airline would also not good from a personal security point of view to use army ID.
    I also seem to remember seeing a piece advising against use of military ID in airports etc on orders.

4. Nurse - whilst agree in part, about using MOD90, the article said the regiment had his passport, and he may not have had a driving licence!! and it was within mainland UK, not like he was flying from/to another country.

more money for easyjet on that route then, bunch of W*****s.

5. yes but rules changed after 11/9/02.

6. OK then Nurse that ones a fair cop!

7. Nurse I think your view on it’s a Southern Irish airline and therefore is a security risk is a bit out of line and verging on racism. This situation was from Glasgow witch is part of the UK may I remind you. Therefore I very much doubt that he was at any risk nor would he if he used it at Dublin Airport as all airport staff go through vigorous vetting. I am an ex squadie who has served in Northern Ireland for many years now working as a civi at Stansted airport luckily not for Ryanair and find this amassing as when you check in here for any internal flight the good old MOD90 is welcome including Ryanair as it is listed on each check in desk. I suspect there was more to the story than we are reading.

8. Having flown with Ryanair and Easyjet, I know that the policy for ID clearly states what is an acceptable form of photo ID. The list clearly omits MoD 90. If the said Para had actually read his flight confirmation he would have known this.
    As for his unit having his Passport, if they don't trust him to look after it, what are they doing giving him a loaded weapon to look after?

To quote Ryanair
    "All passengers must present valid photo identification at check-in for all flights including domestic UK flights and routes between Ireland and the UK. Expired forms of photo id will not be accepted. The only valid forms of photo-id accepted on domestic UK flights and Ireland-UK routes are a passport, driving licence with photo, international student identity card with photo, or national identity card with photo. (National Identity cards are accepted only when issued by a Schengen country, i.e. Spain, Portugal, France, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, mainland Italy, the Netherlands, Greece Austria, Denmark, Finland and Sweden). "

9. CGS

CGS War Hero Moderator

OK, lets boycott them then, not for their inability to distinguish between the validity of a British Government controlled document over an International Student Identity Card (ie a union ID), but because of their shocking Customer Relationship Management policy.

What would be cool is having the MOD 90 as an internationally recognised passport, as in the US Military.  Then you could use it OR your passport as required, but that is another debate.

Nurse,

As for the Sy implications of using your MOD 90 as ID with a R Ireland carrier, by your logic, that argument should also apply to the Forces Discount Brochure, which contains contacts and references for completely uncleared companies...  How far should we go?

BOYCOTT THEM!!!!!!!!

10. Travel on MoD 90

In the 80's a US wide body carrier was hijacked.  The first terrorit IA is to collect all pasports.

The poor US Navy guys were dead before they hit the tarmac; their ID was their passport and death warrant.  If you're even 1/4 Irish, do a Roy Keane and put in for an Irish Passport as well.

In today's uncertain world, it could save your life.

11. The Sy arguments are sound and sensible.  I wouldn't use my ID on Rebel Airways.  however, that's not really the point.  This is an airline operating between two cities in UK for a predominantly UK customer base.  

I think the comical Irish tube that runs it despises the UK and all it stands for and has effected inetrnal policies to suit.  Try using the currency converter on the thief's website and you will find one particular currency absent, UK Pounds....What a tw*t!

Chin them off! Its Sleazyjet for me.

12. Intresting how many people with interesting levels of security clearance turn out to be inteligence gathering for various terrorist orginisations.

13. Toptoty  the Ryanair currency converter is for country’s that have now moved over to the euro so people can convert, say French franks into euro. It was a euro law that made company’s do this to make the change over easy for the old and not so bright.  ;D

14. This security stuff is utter tosh and bollocks.

Granada and many other service stations offer discounts on production of an ID card.  Why are we allowed to do this and then not use an ID card as - an ID card??

I have regularily used it on cross channel ferries in order to get discounts and when I did not have my passport.

There is always some arsole who thinks security is somehow compromised by using any thing to do with services i.e. the great luggage fiasco  - when we were told to cover our bergans with black plastic bags so the IRA would not guess which checkout at Hanover was the services one.  A blind syphalitic eskimo could have worked it out in about 30 seconds.

I agree with all those who say that the paddygobshite has it in for anything British, I for one would never use his flights after seeing him on telly and the disgraceful attitiude towards his paying customers that  he displayed.

I also agree with those who say that our ID card should be recognised it is crazy that a Student Union card has more authority than our ID card.

We also seem to have gone full circle since the "open borders" agreement, we should not, by this treaty have to produce passports for travel in any EU country. Try telling that to a check in clerk.

15. Only EU countries who have signed up to the Schengen Agreement have passport-free travel across borders.

The UK, quite sensibly, chose to remain outside the agreement and thus retain passport controls at our borders.