Boy sees with his ears...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by moving-target-survivor, Oct 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. He'll be clicking his tongue and performing tricks for fish next.
  2. A few years ago there was a documentary on a teenage blind yank who had freakish echo-location skills. He could locate a pin stuck in a table top and other impressive feats.

Sadly he couldn't see cavenous drops like missing manhole covers or sheer drops on stairwell approaches. His skills only went so far.
  3. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Grooming him as a gigolo for the WI are they????

Mine's the vintage leather, black, no buttons, thank you!
  4. I'd be interested to know whether it's *really* proper echo-location or just a a post-hoc rationalisation of a fairly well-documented phenomenon called "blindsight": the person appears to be blind and indeed has no conscious visual feedback, but can still move around obstacles - without making any clicking sounds - and reportedly even tell what shapes are on cards etc. Best guess is that the visual feedback is received by the brain, but that concious awareness is somehow disrupted.
  5. Politicians talk out of their ARSSES, do they qualify as specially gifted?
  6. If you look at the link on my post you will notice that the guy had his eyes surgically removed. Now I know there are some shocking surgeons around but they can't be that bad.
  7. I looked at the original poster's link - to a boy with his eyes intact - for which my post is entirely appropriate.