boxing in the army?

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by OIorDIE, Jun 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So when i join the army, what are the opportunities to box and is it a case of training outside your work hours or can you get time for training and fights etc?

I was told by my brother the armed forces have football, rugby groups etc and was just looking for concrete confirmation of being able to box in the forces, so anyone who has served and boxed please let me know.

much appreciated.

2. A lot of regiments have a boxing team. Who are you joining?

3. well I have not got that far yet mate, but i was hoping lancaster regiment

4. In that case you'll be ok. Most Inf reg have a boxing team.

5. cheers mate, good to know

6. The army loves boxing and holds it's boxers in high regard. I just grabbed this from "the other place" and it says it pretty well:

As you are probably aware, I completed in the Bns boxing competition a fews back and have subsequently been task to write and article for the Corps mag.

I tasked each boxer to write a 'snapshot' of their fight, from the moment they stepped out under the red curtain to the Referee's decision.

What I got back impressed me quite a bit, the courage that these guys displayed, in the face, for some, of sheer adversity.

So I thought I would share a couple of the snapshots:

Cfn Hosker Vs Tpr Vittles

I had heard it all before 'Train Hard, Fight Easy,' so throughout the weeks leading up to the fight I was giving 110% in training, hoping for a easy fight. It was always in the back of my mind that my opponent was training just as hard. The nerves never hit me until I was going through some last combinations in the changing room with the Coach and replaying all the techniques I had learnt over the last 2 months. We walked out into the corridor leading to the red canopy where I would be walking out to a gym full of soldiers each cheering on their own regiment to win. I heard my soundtrack that I had chosen to walk out to kick in; which meant it was time. I began to walk out; my brain didn’t want to but my legs just went. The Bn went crazy as I completed my introduction lap of the ring, it filled me with confidence. I don’t remember much of Tpr Vittles entrance as I was trying to remember how to box and trying to keep the nerves at bay. The RSM Introduced us and the first round began. It flew by, the instinct took over and I just knew what to do. I was glad to hear the bell go at the end of the first round because I was extremely tired. The next two rounds progressed in the same sort of way trading blows and each regiment cheering when there fighter landed a couple of good punches. ‘Ding Ding’ …. The final bell went and we removed our head guards as the referee grabbed both fighters’ hands. He congratulated us both on a very good fight and proceeded to announce the results. ‘And the winner is...........Tpr Vittles’, my heart sank because I knew I could of tried that little bit harder and maybe just pinched the win. I’ll know for next time. The best bit of my experience was walking down the stairs of the ring after the announcement; to the whole crowd giving me a standing ovation and every one congratulating me overall. I had a really good night.

Cfn Milner Vs Tpr Brice

Leading up to the fight I had mixed emotions, as you would if you had never fought before! Anxious, nervous and various other emotions that I have forgotten had ever existed. On the day of the fight I got more and more nervous and was not overly confident, it’s not easy to be confident when you don't know what to expect. Added with the fact that this was having my first fight in front of more than 500 people didn't help! The night came pretty quick and after watching a couple of the fights, my turn soon came. Just before the fight I did a bit of pad work to warm up, even though the nerves kicked in, I was starting to fire up and starting to get focused. This was my opportunity to get the first win for our battalion. My music came on; I walked out and was feeling sort of ready. I got to the ring and the preparations began for the fight, a few words of wisdom from the coach Cpl Griffiths, and a check over by the Referee. Before I knew it the bell rang, it was time to pull my finger out and try my best. Adrenaline kicked in, luckily for me I got the first few punches in, and not long into the first round I managed to burst Brice’s nose with a good jab. I could tell he was getting frustrated and this gave me the confidence to keep my cool and to keep picking him off, countering and attacking. The crowd started cheering and shouting my name and it felt brilliant, even though I was ‘hanging out’, it kept me going and made me want to win more than anything. When the match had finished I couldn’t help but smile, I knew I had done well and that he had taken a fair beating. I was eagerly awaiting the result. I had struggled in training and kept getting beat up in the sparring sessions; I have Cfn Didlock to thank for that. If he hadn’t nearly taken my head off in sparring, I wouldn’t have developed such a good countering technique! Despite this, I had managed to pull it off and the Referee lifted my arm, the crowd cheered like mad and it felt ‘mint’. One of the best moments of my army career by far.

2Lt Wilson Vs Tpr Muffitt.
    The nerves only ever hit me when I heard my opponent’s music. I never thought Eminem’s ‘Loose yourself’ would have such an impact at a time like this. Luckily the assistant coach Cfn Wilkinson was on hand to calm and focus me; reminding me not to listen to his music and having a quick last minute run through of the combinations that we had just practised. I only learnt that day that my opponent fought in a ‘southpaw’ style. This meaning that where a conventional stance is left hand forward, he fought with his right hand forward. Meaning that I would need to adapt my leading hand and throw some new combos in order not to leave myself open to his strong hand.
    The long walk to the ring served only to faze me out from my surroundings, my aim being not to look at any of the spectators as I made my way into the ring. Once in, the nerves had completely disappeared and all I felt was a surge in adrenaline. This was a good thing, as I can only describe that the next 10 minutes was the most physically demanding thing I have ever completed in my life. My opponent was strong and came in with the first few hits. At this point I decided I would wait for an opening and counter and gain the offensive. This became my tactic for the remainder of the match.
    Once completed, a feeling of elation hit me. I’d been training for 8 weeks for a 10 minute boxing match. Before the announcement, I was completely unaware as to who was the winner. It wasn’t until the Referee lifted my hand that the realisation came across that all that hard work had actually paid off!

Cfn McCall vs. LCpl Nawarycz

After Cfn Milner and 2Lt Wilson both winning before me, I thought I had to pull this out of the bag. The added pressure of letting the team down added to my nerves more than letting myself down. I started walking out to my music and got more and more hyped up for the match. Seeing all the Bn stood on their seat showing their support for me added to my nerves. In the ring the nerves disappeared and I knew what I had to do. The only thing is that I dint know how the ‘bruiser’ stood across from me was going to be like. So I knew I had to get the first punch in and shock him before he had a chance to throw a punch. The first round was a decent round, both of us were still trying to settle into the fight but I came out of that round feeling pretty confident that I only was caught a couple of times. My opponent’s nose was bleeding quite heavily and I knew I’d connected with him a fair few times. In the second round I got too comfortable for my own good. Knowing that id hurt him in the first round, my guard dropped and I unfortunately took a couple of knocks. This let me know he was still in the game. This woke me up and I went back to pressing forward throwing combos and it worked well as I managed to catch him with a strong left hook and he hit the matt and went down for an 8 count. The third round was clearly a case of both of us digging deep and going all out on what little energy we had left. ‘Nav's’ nose was still bleeding quite badly and the Referee had to keep on stopping the round so he could clean his nose off. The fight eventually finished and we stood there with the Referee holding both our arms. This moment felt like it went on for ages and eventually my hand was raised as the unanimous winner. I was proud to also receive the ‘Best Boxer’ which I was really happy about and my opponent also won a well deserved ‘Most Valiant Boxer’ award.

I really wanted to try and inspire people to try and get out of their comfort zone. Anything is do-able. You just have to have the will power!

7. The army in general is pretty mad for boxing. I'm not in the infantry and did two months full time boxing training for an inter reg competition. Completely
    Pulled out of work. Four - five hours training each day. One of the best times iv had in my army career.

8. Any worthwhile units box, and give men time off to follow their talent. By boxing for your unit you will "make a name for yourself." Which will help you a lot. Good luck and enjoy a wonderful experience.

9. Couldn't agree more, got a gleaming write up this year and probably will come off the board in part due to my participation this year.

10. Is it only the best boxers from each reg or people that have past boxing XP before joinig the army that get to fight or is anyone allowed to train and fight?

11. anyone can box!! if your a unique weight! light or heavy you will be volunteered(told to do it lol) !! its good fun and the training will make you fitter!
    its amazing how much stamina it takes to do 3 rounds in fairness! how the fook these pro's do 12 is beyond me!

12. Anyone pal. I'd never put on a pair of gloves before I started and I took to it quite well. It's in a good environment too, any showboating will get stomped on straight away and of it looks like one guy is takin a beating then they will stop it quicker than they would in a civvi amateur fight

13. That's good, thanks for the replys guys :)

14. I used to enjoy boxing. I wasn't particularly talented but I could brawl my way through 3 rounds, lacking finesse I routinely lost to anybody who actually knew how to box. Boxing (and sport generally) wasn't well regarded by our CO at the time. Lads weren't given time off to train, there was no BN team and we had to find our own transport to attend bouts staged by other units. A pretty shameful situation all in all. Other units had a radically different outlook and a thriving boxing scene.

On the plus side, boxers get respect in a unit; nobody tries it on with them and they are usually popular by default. It will keep you fit, burn off your frustrations and open all kinds of other doors - if your CoC values the sport.

The conclusion I eventually came to is that it's profoundly stupid to get hit in the head. Especially if you are fighting big opponents. Two of my friends have health problems now; their quality of life is shit and they will almost certainly die young. I (reluctantly) have to say that I think boxing is a mugs game - even at amateur level - and it is much better to study a martial art that emphasises avoiding blows. I still enjoy working the heavy bag, but there's no way I'm ever going to square up to an opponent in the ring and risk concussive brain injuries again.