Boxhead Christmas Markets?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by InspectorDiver, Dec 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When did these things come into popularity? I don't seem to be able to go to any town centre these days without being assaulted by a line of sheds containing "Germans" selling tat.

My local one seems to have 1 security person to every punter and 2 big Council CCTV vans at either end of the street, and bouncers...

All very odd, I don't remember them from my childhood...
  2. They've been around for as long as I can remember (which isn't that long)

Edited to add: I did grow up in Germany though.
  3. Forget the tat, what about the bratties and gluhwein?? :D
  4. msr

msr LE

5. Are you sure they're Germans and not 'pikeys'? We have a market here and the same travellers flog crepe at a 'French Food Market' in the Summer as well as bratties and gluhwein in the Festive season.
  6. I've only tried it from the local one, and it tastes like it was mulled in a tramps shoe. But maybe that is how it is meant to be?
  7. Manchester's Albert square Xmas market isn't that good in my experience, and is just an excuse to sell crap at extortionate prices. Do yourself a favour and save yourself a fortune, go to your local Aldi Or Lidl and buy the Bratties they sell. Every bit as good if not better and a tenth the price...Of course that depends on your embarassment tolerance you understand :wink:
  8. The market in Manchester outside the townhall is dire.
    V pricey and more cramped than 02:15 a kebab house in fatsville, avoid like the plague.
  9. I agree about the Manchester Market, I love the Kurrywurst & Krombacher as much as the next man, but the prices are feckin ridiculous! £6 for a Flamküchen!!!
  10. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

LBC is banging on about 'German Christmas Markets' all the fecking time. And that big nosed cnut Ben Fogle is also doing an Austrian (sh1t airline) Airways advert about 'meat and cheese boards' and markets.

What I want to know is, when does it cease being a market and become a 'German/Christmas market'? Is it just the application of some sh1tty tinsel and Cockney barrow boy/Mohammad/Spyros the market trader wearing a fetching Santa hat?
  11. Personally I like them, there again, I like to drink alcohol and eat garlic mushrooms and bratties surrounded by drunk Germans who, unlike my fellow countrymen in a similar situation, do not just want to glass someone for no apparent reason

Koln is the best one!!
  12. Koln is the best one!![/quote]

and then you can go in one of the Brit bars and watch the footie, while continuing drinking
  13. went to the leeds one recently, theyve got a big beer tent set up which i thought would have been the staple but the liverpool and newcastle ones are lacking in.