Discussion in 'RLC' started by General Melchett, Apr 13, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

With the advent of the RLC why is Brigade Ordnance Warrant Officer still an appointment, and not Brigade Logistic Warrant Officer?
  2. I think its because BOWO looks nicer than BLWO :lol:
  3. It was and still is primarily a Supply Appointment, and nothing much to do with Transport, Catering or Pioneers.

As well as BOWO do you also have DOWO as well?
  4. General Melchett

Hmm, so why still Ordnance though? Supply is logistics.

Yes, there are still DOWOs.
  5. Yes, DOWO is sometimes found at Div HQs. Land have a WO1 in Log Sp Branch called the COWO (Command Ordnance Warrant Officer).

In some Bde HQs, depending on the DCOS, the BOWO appointment has been retitled WO1 Log Sp in the branch with the SO2 Log Sp & SO3 CSups.
  6. General Melchett

Interesting. I had noticed the WO1 Log Sp appt, but not put the two together. Killing 'em off quietly eh? Shame.
  7. The correct term is AOWO, Army ordinance warrant officer. You call them diffierent things depending on whether they work for a Div, Bde or Force . There is also a command OWO.

So thats BOWO, DOWO, FOWO, COWO but they are all technically AOWOs, interesting eh! (Still Q works for me)
  8. The spelling of Ordnance correctly works for me every time. Call me old fashioned if you will.

All are appointments and not just postings.
  9. Daddy wouldn't buy me a BOWO,
    Daddy wouldn't buy me a BOWO!
    I've got a little CAD
    And I'm very found of that
    But I'd rather have a BOWO Wow!
  10. A subject close to my heart, once a BOWO always a BOWO, however staying in line with the post any individual wether BOWO, FOWO, DOWO, COWO or Logistics Warrant Officer/Warrant Officer Logistics is generally refered to by those in the know as an OWO, an Ordnance Warrant Officer.

Those DCOS`s who devalue and incorrectly title thier OWO`s as WO Logs / Log WO`s should be taken out at dawn and shot, I blame the lack of senior main stream supply Officers, the lack of which has taken our focus away from supply and accounting practices, Op TELIC springs to mind as the latest example of this, not just in theatre but more importantly in the Base Supply areas back in the UK.

An OWO in a position as a Logistics Warrant Officer or Warrant Officer Logistics is in my mind incorrectly titled. The term Logistics as already pointed out encompasses other disciplines not really covered by an OWO, Transport, Catering, Postal Courier, to name a few.

In essence an OWO is responsible for the accounting and supply of all "materiel" within his AOR and funnily enough the BOWO`s course as it still reffered to is entitled the (Formation) Supply Warrant Officers Course, not a mention of the word Logistics. However this should not lead to a change in title.

A (Formation) Supply Warrant Officer would end up being a BSWO, DSWO, or whatever, this has a crap ring to it, does not roll off the tounge and the SWO bit looks to light blue for my liking (RAF Station Warrant Officer).

So in summary the appointment of OWO still rings a certain fear into QM's staff and should remain unchanged and those that are be reverted lest we fianally forget what the position means and stands for, the day this happens the last meaningful remains of the RAOC element within the RLC will be lost forever and the corps will lapse into a dark void of chaos and misery.................................... :evil:
  11. i loved being a BOWO's Clerk in NI. and worked with the DOWO in 1 Div. i hope to go back and do an OWO's job when i am old and grey
  12. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

You were doing well in my view until you said that QMs 'fear' OWOs.

These are guys who have been through the mill, gained rank through Warrant Officer and become commissioned - they will then be 'feart' of OWOs. I don't think so.

13. As i said i worked for OWO's and QMs do fear them. in some repect.
  14. QMs do not fear OWOs they simply tolerate them for 12hrs until they feck orf to where hence they came.

The few OWOs that I have encountered only offer advice to the QM on how to run his empire more efficiently. Anything more and the OWOs are treading thin ice.