Bowman

Is Bowman in use at any training establishments yet?

(just wondered where the units due to switch are going to get trained ops from...)

Don't believe it is yet....Probable will have steady state training after conversion is complete

What has it came to, with Bowman fitted to a Landrover you need a trailer for the spare wheel and can only fit two bods in the back (without kit). Thought with Leaps in technology we were all getting fitted for video wristwatches, not running alongside our respective veh as the suspension cannot take additional weight. Good news is that they can only travel at 40 kph (Glad its a Wolf!) Probably few responces as all personnel on European Computer Driving Licence Cse in order to work the kit.

Still at least we didn't order jets that cannot take off on the length of an aircraft carrier or helicopters that have a bigger rotor span than the carriers hanger space. Senior service god bless them.

As for the RAF, well there's not enough space is there........

Its not the mistakes that change just how much we pay for them, don't forget to turn your lights off. Rant Rave etc etc

What has it came to, with Bowman fitted to a Landrover you need a trailer for the spare wheel and can only fit two bods in the back (without kit). Thought with Leaps in technology we were all getting fitted for video wristwatches, not running alongside our respective veh as the suspension cannot take additional weight. Good news is that they can only travel at 40 kph (Glad its a Wolf!) Probably few responces as all personnel on European Computer Driving Licence Cse in order to work the kit.

Still at least we didn't order jets that cannot take off on the length of an aircraft carrier or helicopters that have a bigger rotor span than the carriers hanger space. Senior service god bless them.

Its not the mistakes that change just how much we pay for them, don't forget to turn your lights off. Rant Rave etc etc

DangerMouse

Old-Salt
NW_STAB_Smudger said:
Is Bowman in use at any training establishments yet?
(just wondered where the units due to switch are going to get trained ops from...)
My understanding is that training packages are integral to the contract tendered to the manufacturer, and that units are rolled through as they convert. During the transition phase there will be an element of learning 'on the job' as non-Bowman-trained personnel are posted in to already Bowman-ised units.

The first bde to convert is 12 Mech Bde, followed by 7 Armd Bde shortly. For a brief article about the former, see: http://www.army.mod.uk/royalsignals/228sigsqn/Bowman.htm

As far as 'individual' training establishments go, I believe that the only place to get Bowman until all bdes are converted is Sandhurst. The next course at RMAS, CC043, begins in September and is apparently going to be trained on Bowman.

BigRed said:

no but we have Apache that is too tall to go into its hanger, can't fly in bad weather and can't communicate with ground forces, and no piolots to fly them! :oops:

have seen enough of them flying over me, but strangely none during glastonbury weather. hmmmm, everything else seems to be flying ok.
seen loads of drovers with bowman trails unit parked in strange places, pub carparks, outside offies, the rbl, outside attractive slappers gaffs, so maybe it will work. :lol:

BigRed said:
What has it came to, with Bowman fitted to a Landrover you need a trailer for the spare wheel and can only fit two bods in the back (without kit).

You can't have those bods in the back whilst the Rover is in motion either.

BOWMAN is still in its infancy, so there will be many problems encountered on the way. It's not expected to be fully opetational until 2008. Rest assures though, when its up and running, we will ahve world class comms, especially the data transfer with the HCDR :)

Yea, should have said IF shouldn't I?

Well, IF it does, it will be good. Having done the BOWMAN System Managers course, There is a hell of a lot of oppertunity there for us. True, the software is still being invented, and there are a whole host of teething problems, but when it is up, OK, IF it all goes to plan, we WILL have a world class comms system

The cretins that are controlling the introduction and roll out of Bowman nicked the CR2 off of my last exercise so that they could be fitted with it...... Not even in ruddy service and it is already f^*king us over......................... AGAIN :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

[quote="polarWhats the course like, worth attending just for playing with the new kit and more IT experience?[/quote]

The computers are great.....the simulations are slightly OK, but its not the real thing. We really need hands on the kit, which doesn't happen until approx 6 months after the course. They will not give us the programmes to "play" with, so now we have 6 months of extreme skill fade. Deep Joy :evil:

Just out of interest, how long is the Bowman System Managers course , and what's the rank/quals required to do it?

Interested in any Bowman courses at the moment, as my unit isn't scheduled to get it or training till 2000 and longtime :cry:

The last doc I've seen gives course duration at about 40 days (for the manager courses). Other courses are shorter (basic and advanced signaller) but still longish.

Not heard anything about TA courses but I'd expect (just taking a wild guess) that it'd be 10 days long (2 weeks). We've heard nothing in my unit so it could be a long way off (we're normally the first TA unit to get new comms stuff).

Try and kick your PSAO off his RLI computer and go browsing, try finding 'Intro to Bowman.pdf' or have a look at 'Bowman familiarisation brief' on the RSS (Royal School of Sigs) site.

The BOWMAN Syatem Managers (BSM) course is approx 4 weeks long at the moment. Its meant to be 5, but all the software is not ready yet. This is just the Conversion timings....I am unsure what length the steady state training courses will take.

At the moment, the min rank of a BSM is Sgt, with min qual of RSI, or capbadge equivilants.

It looks like the Class 3 Rad Ops course will be called the Basic Sig, Class 1 the Advanced Signaller (Adv Sig) and RSI the Advanced Signaller (System) (Adv Sig (S)). The BSM is a special course that will be run at Blandford. These are true to the best of my knowledge, unless someone geeker than me can tell different.

Course lenghts are pretty correct, however they hide the truth that the courses are woefully inadequate to do the job. They certainly do not do what they say on the tin :evil:

The BSM course is in reality nothing more than an overview of the system, lots of the in depth tech knowledge they you require to manage the system in the field just is not covered. I accept the system is evolving (seems to be daily!!) but the training solution isnt even close (believe me i know!)

For you already trained BSMs out there try your hardest to get some hands on, skill fade is massive and you will suffer when the BOWMAN monster arrives at your unit. But remember "Bowman is a learning experience!" :lol:

So holding back for the courses could be a wise move, just listen in on these means and wait until the course is sorted?

How much control does Blanford have over the course, the last docs I read were written by General Dynamics? which implied they were heavily involved in the training.

Westland Helicopters are resp for the training, under GD direction but are about 3 months behind the power curve. As per any trg org its about getting numbers through the sausage factory and they are not interested that the training solution doesnt fit the requirement.

When the mil take over things should get better :wink:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B The Intelligence Cell 11
P Current Affairs, News and Analysis 2
FPF_my_loc The Intelligence Cell 35