Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by bluebirdinwales, Dec 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, as an ex Radio Op from the eighties, I would interested in finding out anyones opinions on the Bowman radio system in comparison with the old Clansman kit.

2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Where you from then? Oakdale? :D
  3. Search for it then.
    I had to write an essay on BOWMAN/Clansman for college last week, took me all of 5 minutes to find a thread of around 5 pages with most of what I needed. There also, shockingly, happened to be other threads.
  4. better off with a map and nokia.very flawed procuement attempt to run before managing to crawl.
    etc etc.

all the problems of sa80 saga and then add electricty of course it was going to go badly :roll: .
    firearms have been around for 200 odd years mod fecked that up.
    radio less than 100 years no way was the mod going to make that work :evil: .
  5. Bowman does work. Does more than what it needs to do (and frankly that's its problem!) - It's a gold plate solution, and when you try and put that much tech and capability into something green and "rugged" (British) you inevitably have problems.

Good system though.
  6. We always start off with requirements that are too vague. The supplier is usually happy with that, as it gives them room for manoeuvre and a chance to say "you never specified....". Then the vague requirements get fudged and smudged until it is a complete shambles. For contractors it's brilliant - after all, there's no money in providing a cure! :p