BOWMAN / FFR / LFG question

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by Hartman, Aug 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there ... hope this is the right place to pose these questions:-

1. LFG. Can someone please suggest where an LFG can be connected into the vehicle to charge the radio batteries? There is the batten box, but we're not sure if this is the right place because no charge seems to be getting to the batteries. There are some huge sockets just inside the rear door on the right but I understand this is legacy equipment before BOWMAN conversion.

2. LIGHTING. How do people light the inside of the FFR and tent? The old penthouse lights can't be used apparently as the fly lead is not fused. Has somone come up with some neat ideas or is there an issue map / task light available?

3. BLACKOUT. Is there some issued cloth to black out the windows, especially now we have to work in the front with the VUDT?

Thank you very much.
  2. H, Blackout material, a close wove black (surprise, surprise) fabric used to be an expense item, available from unit stores (when in stock). Condemned trailer canopies, subject to a Stanley knife, could be hacked up to make blackout screens, if these can be obtained from an understanding QM/SQMS.
  3. When i used an LFG for my FFR we connected it to the socket inside the rear door on the right hand side and it worked fine. As far as iam aware the socket goes straight to the battery charging unit which is down behind the drivers seat if i recall. Your tech workshop will be able to knock you up the lead if you dont have one.

For lighting just go to you local motoring shop/halfords and buy one of those garage style lights with the little hook on it and some low watt light bulbs so its not too bright and run it off the LFG's 240v then hang it in the tent.
  4. As mentioned before you can plug the lead into the twin socket located on the RHS when looking at it from the rear door. Your Techs should be able to adapt the lead used from the existing genny prior to the LFG's

Continue to use the existing lead, just place an inline fuse within the lead or ask the Techs if you are unsure how to do it. This will protect the light and equipment (L/R) from any nastys that may occur and have it documented in the Regt's illegal MOD register.

Why not ask your USA Tech rep to demand some winterised window covers for L/Rover and then use the good old hessian over the top?

Hope this is of some help?

5. Thanks for your answers - most helpful.

Best wishes
  6. This now a MOD for the Landrover and should be hitting you FFR's in the near future.