BOWMAN - BCIP 5 Upgrade Confirmed

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by meridian, May 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)
  2. I have an idea, why don't they upgrade it to the bin. Just done 3 weeks on Salisbury Plain with it, and its still sh*t as ever!!!!!
  3. General Dynamics will be laughing all the way to the bank 'cheers easy b@stards for buying that shite'
  4. meridian

I thought the 'simpler for troops to use' comment was quite telling.

Could it be that the original requirements and resultant kit were just too much when all what was needed was secure voice, better ergonomics and basic 'forms based' reports and returns?
  5. what i need from Bowman is a bigger shelf to put all the buggered stuff on prior to sending back to GD
  6. Is this the upgrade that makes it work?
  7. Have you read the "inf views on BOWMAN" thread?

Bedouin (sp?) had some pretty damning criticisms.

From what I've gathered bowman is over engineered and was over ambitious for the core aim of secure communication. Sounds like someone is back peddling.
  8. msr

msr LE

9. Nope, it's the upgrade that makes it even more complex!
  10. well ill let you know cos im doing my bcip 5 training next week
  11. Can anyone confirm what we were told when we were being taught on it that the HF Harris radio is actually based on a radio that can do the full range of HF and VHF, but was limited to HF because of some outlandish contract requirements?

Surely not?
  12. A radio that could do VHF AND HF, that's just madness and clearly the MOD did the right thing and decided its much better to have them separate so as not to confuse anyone!

What next, garlic and bread together in a PAYD establishment??!!
  13. It's sadly true... The base Harris Falcom II HF radio covers from 1.6 to 60Mhz

if you're bored.

Of course that's far too sensible for MoD...and makes less profit for GD. Who don't own Harris.......
  14. meridian

Devilish, it was something I read online in the public domain but fair point :D
  15. Could someone tell me why you're discussing comsec on insecure comms?