Bowman and cancer

Gentlemen. My son is a serving Royal Marine (17 years) He has just been casevaced from Norway having suffered a siezure and subsequentlly diagnosed with a brain tumour. He is to have surgery in 2 weeks time. He is a signaller and has used Bowman Radios a great deal earlier in his career. I have become aware of a rumoured link between Bowman and brain tumours. If anyone on this site has any knowledge, good or bad, that can be shared with me I will be most grateful.

gorilla

War Hero
Hi, I remember seeing a report from the US army which stated that their signallers were experiencing a higher amount of brain tumours than the national average, not sure what radios they used though.

Hi, I remember seeing a report from the US army which stated that their signallers were experiencing a higher amount of brain tumours than the national average, not sure what radios they used though.
The Harris version of Bowman, pretty much the same

Radiofrequency waves don't generally carry enough energy to damage DNA, as well as being non-ionizing. However it's not currently known if long term exposure to non-ionizing radiation can have an impact in terms of developing cancer.

Radiofrequency waves don't generally carry enough energy to damage DNA, as well as being non-ionizing. However it's not currently known if long term exposure to non-ionizing radiation can have an impact in terms of developing cancer.
Even in military communications? I’ve walked passed UHF ae strung up in trees that were fizzing loudly

Ayatollah

Old-Salt
Really? Try using an HF C12 or C13 which will light up an unconnected fluorescent tube light from 8 ft away. If you touch the Antenna while transmitting it can kill you. And let's not talk about microwaves.

endure

GCM
Really? Try using an HF C12 or C13 which will light up an unconnected fluorescent tube light from 8 ft away. If you touch the Antenna while transmitting it can kill you. And let's not talk about microwaves.
The reason the antenna can kill you if you touch it is that it has a kilovolt or two running through it not because it's emitting radio waves.

Hi there. Bowman radios do not physically have the power or the high frequencies required to alter DNA. There is no chance that these radios caused or contributed to his tumour.

I'm sorry to hear about your son and I hope he gets better, but don't let ambulance chasing lawyers persuade you to try and pursue a case that has very ropey grounds.

TamH70

MIA
And never go near an NCRS antenna farm when that bastard is transmitting.

Oh, wait.

Yon's out of service now.

I wonder why.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
A high powered antenna will f*ck you up if you touch it. So will a running band saw.

Neither will give you cancer.

maybe it would if you were cutting asbestos

Hi there. Bowman radios do not physically have the power or the high frequencies required to alter DNA. There is no chance that these radios caused or contributed to his tumour.

I'm sorry to hear about your son and I hope he gets better, but don't let ambulance chasing lawyers persuade you to try and pursue a case that has very ropey grounds.

Could you explain why you are so sure?

endure

GCM
Could you explain why you are so sure?
Because the part of the electromegnetic spectrum occupied by radio waves is non ionising i.e. they don't have enough energy to knock electrons from an atom and thus don't alter your DNA.

I seem to remember it took a long time and court cases for it to be accepted that mesolithemia is caused by asbestos.

Some things you may wish to consider:

Radio waves do have some affects on the human body, this is known and is the reason why mitigation has to be in place such as shielding and safe distances.

X-Rays are known to cause certain cancers. X-Rays are part of the electromagnetic spectrum. Radio waves are also part of the electromagnetic spectrum.

We shouldn’t just dismiss things.

endure

GCM
I seem to remember it took a long time and court cases for it to be accepted that mesolithemia is caused by asbestos.

Some things you may wish to consider:

Radio waves do have some affects on the human body, this is known and is the reason why mitigation has to be in place such as shielding and safe distances.

X-Rays are known to cause certain cancers. X-Rays are part of the electromagnetic spectrum. Radio waves are also part of the electromagnetic spectrum.

We shouldn’t just dismiss things.
Your bedroom light emits electromagnetic radiation. That doesn't mean it will give you cancer.

X-rays have sufficient energy to ionize atoms. Radio waves don't.

Your bedroom light emits electromagnetic radiation. That doesn't mean it will give you cancer.

X-rays have sufficient energy to ionize atoms. Radio waves don't.

Then why do radio waves still physically affect people?

Latest Threads