Bow hunting

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by happybonzo, Jun 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know that hunting with a Bow or Crossbow is illegal in the UK but does anyone know why this is so?
    I can forsee the arguments about a well placed arrow shot not being as quick as a round delivered smack on target: Would this be the most likely reason?
  2. not as accurate, and low velocity so the animal is not incapacitated immediately... the arrow/bolt cuts its way into the animal and the animal bleeds to death. I believe it is a crueller way to die and the law is correct on this occasion... even though I have a crossbow.
  3. I have done a lot of hunting with a bow. Not too long ago like some other field sports it was legal in this country. As for it being cruel, that is the usual rubbish spouted by those who have never seen the speed at which a large animal such as a red deer expire after being lung shot with a good broadhead. Yes the animal bleeds to death, as do most animals who are shot, the head shot being the exception. Often a deer will jump when hit by the arrow, look around and then continue to graze before collapsing. It has been my experience that large animals show less agitation or stress when hit by a good broadhead then when shot, especially if the shot has missed the spine.

Bowhunting got a reputation for cruelty in the UK because of clowns who went poaching with either crossbows or bows of insufficient draw and using field points rather than broadheads. Some will have seen the photos of roe with bolts sticking from their heads.
    Personally I think the law is way off the mark; I think that it is a lot crueller to animals to allow idiots who only shoot once a year and often do not zero, never mind practice to shoot at and occasionally hit deer.

For me bowhunting is the pinnacle of field sport as it takes great skill and an lot of knowledge to get within range of an animal and actually draw, especially on the hill.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Source: Act 2003

Section 1 - (Sale): It is an offence for any person to sell or let on hire a crossbow or part there of to a person under the age of 18.

Section 2 - (Purchase): It is an offence for any person under the age of 18 to buy or hire a crossbow or part there of.

Section 3 - (Possession): It is an offence for any person under the age of 18 to have with him a crossbow which is capable of discharging a missile, or parts of a crossbow which together can be assembled to form a crossbow capable of discharging a missile.

Hunting is illegal in the UK, it is also illegal to use broadhead bolts, you must only use target points.

Be sensible when using and transporting, it is not illegal to own one but they should not be carried in public and only used on private land. Respect should be given at all times as it is a leathal weapon if used incorrectly. Be very careful where you shoot and ensure there is plenty of room beyond where you are aiming in case you miss.

Ancient security laws.
    A lot of the laws refer to medieval wars such as the conflicts that England had with Scotland or Wales hundreds of years ago, and are to do with the fact that no foreigner during these times was ever seen in the country, so that if one were to be seen then it might mean they were invading. Here are some more bizarre laws:

In York it is perfectly legal to shoot a Scotsman with a crossbow upon seeing one, except for on Sundays. However any Scotsman caught drunk or with a weapon can still be shot on a Sunday, except with a bow and arrow.

Similarly in Chester it is legal to shoot a Welsh person with a crossbow, as long as it is within the city walls and is done after midnight.

In Chester, Welsh people aren’t allowed to enter the city grounds before sunrise and from staying after sunset.
  5. If you want to hunt with a bow, Canada could be the place, dozens of's one.

Bow and Arrow Hunting

I've got a few friends in Ontario, some hunt, some fish.... it's a matter of what you are in to.

I don't really approve of shooting bear etc at feeding stations, but I would imagine the adrenaline of hunting on the ground....
  6. Just reminded of the Norwegian I think who trained at Achnacarry?? with the marines (Spean bridge memorial) I read he would stalk and cut the throats of sleeping deer.

I cant remember if he joined LRDG or something else Stirling related.

Sorry for hijack, but deer spook incredibly easy, and to shoot one with a bow is a feat, to cut its throat is ******* incredible.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Stop the plebs taking game, I'd think. They've never forgiven that Hood chap, absolutely no respect for authority. It's takes more skill to cleanly kill the animal. There's a book by Daniel P. Mannix about alternative hunting with bows, bolas, boomerangs from horseback with Hopis (no, it doesn't come back); "A Sporting Chance". I used to re-read it regularly when I were a lad.
  8. 'Cos the Sheriff of Nottingham is trying to get Robin Hood.
  9. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Dane Anders Lassen

Anders Lassen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  10. That would be the Dane Anders Lassen VC, MM.
    Stalking and catching sleeping roe can be done, I have done it on a couple of times, once on the grenade range in Sennelager (witnessed). I can tell you that they scream when they wake as you land on top of them. They also stop kicking quite quickly but it pays to be well out of the way of both the legs and head.
  11. Attached Files:

12. I would think illegal because of the numptys who would buy a cross bow then go out and shoot the local farm livetock .. I've seen sheep wandering around with crossbow bolts sticking out of them also cows .. if it's illegal then at least the law stands a chance of getting a prosecution .
    Personaly I have a crossbow but would not use it on any large animal even if it was legal despite the fact it has a 150lb pull and will shoot through oak planks .
  13. The old technology was OK. It just took practice to develop a technique for drawing 80 or 90 pound longbows. Having said that the new compounds are that much faster. I dont know if there is much on line, but there used to be an American who regularly dropped Eli with a longbow. If memory serves his name was Hill.
  14. Howard Hill Legend