Discussion in 'RAC' started by Queensman, Nov 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As luck would have it I drove past Bovington this afternoon - I used to live there in the '70s as a Pad Brat, as I passed Woolbridge I thought I'd take a trip down memory lane so I turned left and bimbled through camp.

We used to live in Elles Road (Number 31 if I remember correctly) which I found easily enough. What has happened? Is it no longer a 'Patch'? The sorts of folk and types of motor car inhabiting the place had a very 'odd ring' to it.

Happy days. My father worked at the first BAGTIT built in the old NAAFI - I painted the Landrover Hulks and arranged the camouflage netting etc as well as painting hundreds of brass rings red and blue for the mapboard. I had a holiday job as a storeman in 3(?) Field Workshops once and in another worked in Fortes on the seafront in Weymouth. I used to cycle to Wool Station and jump on the train.
  2. You possibly drove past me while I was walking to the shop with the dog.

What is a "Patch"? I live here, but I'm a civvy. :roll:

The houses near to the shop have been sold, but I understand that Elles Road is MoD.

Around Elles Road seems to be [***mainly] inhabitted by Jocks.

EDIT: *** This is possibly misleading, or even a lie. 8O

I typed it without really thinking. :oops:

It is a stereotype/over-generalisation based on seeing a few Scottish flags on the houses and hearing a few folks with Scottish accents.
  3. A 'Patch' or rather 'The Patch' was where the Married Quarters were. In those days we had Officers Patches and Soldiers Patches. They were lived in by the Pads and their offspring were called Pad Brats.

Why do you live in Bovington? And Jocks? Military Jocks or just random drunk Geordies?
  4. Ahhhh! Yes, I thought that might be the definition of "Patch". Some of the lampposts bear a white metal sign saying "PATCHWATCH AREA" with a picture of a bulldog showing its teeth. I've heard of Pads and Pad Brats.

I wanted to live in Dorset between Dorchester and Poole. I've loved the Tank Museum since I was a kid. I was particularly drawn to the Bovington area. Once I'd sold my previous house, I feared I would not be able to afford to live in Dorset, because it's expensive. But ex MoD houses here are cheaper than elsewhere (and I didn't buy at the discounted price, when the houses were first sold off). And, if one ignores a bit af barbed-wire, it's paradise to live in well-maintained parkland, surrounded by glorious woods and heathland. And, except for the occasional roar of a tank, all one hears is birdsong.

Jocks? Perhaps it was around the time of the World Cup, but I noticed Scottish flags on some of the houses around there and a few folks with Scottish accents. I'm guessing Military Jocks?

Did you spend many years here?

Tell me what was odd about the folks and cars?

And you really now live in Tangier?
  5. Tankie2ndrtr

Tankie2ndrtr Old-Salt Reviewer

oooo i lived in 36 Elles road, 91-95 :)
  6. We didn't live there long - just over a year. My father was doing a 'fill-in' job awaiting promotion. It was 1978. Had a dreadful winter and the place was snowed in during the Spring term Half-term.

What was 'odd'? Sorry to sound pompous or whatever, but it just didn't look like an Officers' Patch and what you disclose will explain why!

Tangier? Aha! I'll leave you to bone up on the history of the British Army for that one!
  7. Churchill's first overseas posting was to Tangiers
  8. IIRC back in the mid 80s Elles Rd was a WO's patch, certainly the newer houses were. Things may have changed again since then, was the the lack of Volvo estates and VW Gin & Tonic Injections a combat indicator?
  9. wibble..
  10. Ha,ha you bit, John Churchill, Duke of Marlborough in 1668 posted to Tangiers
  11. Feck me! You "Tanky types" lead an exciting life eh! :x
  12. When I first went to Bovington we did history in Stanley Barracks
  13. wibble..
  14. A lesson in history,

When King Charles II married Catherine of Braganza, part of her dowery was the former Portugues holdings. When John Churchill was posted there he spent three years fighting the North African Moors. after this he fought on board a ship of the Mediterranean fleet against the Barbary Pirates
  15. Hence why you:

1. Are always hanging around me in the bar cadging free drinks and listening to my war stories.

2. Borrowing my books on Tanks.

3. Spending a fortune on those tank collector magazines so you can continually add to the growing collection of tank models that you keep behind your desk.

4. Going to the Tank Museum summer bash with me next year...

You fcukin love it you Royal Signals tank whore...BA-BOOOOF!!! :wink:

Quis Separabit

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum