Bovington Tank Museum

Personally, I considered the odd bit of oil on an egg banjo like a Michelin Star, you saw that and knew you were in for a treat, even with RAOC bread it was still most enjoyable.

For ECEs who did not like dirty hands, REME Workshops were the place to be. Having spent time there I can tell you that not even a spec of dust would be found an an egg banjo, not that you really saw such a delight in Workshops, mostly though it was cucumber sandwiches (crusts removed of course) with a cup of Darjeeling, Earl Grey, whatever your fancy really, whilst playing a rubber or two of bridge.

Even out in the field the (very old) Commer box body Electronic Repair Vehicles (ERV) were more like a big camper van as you see today. It was a tough job but someone had to do it.
Have a gold star for the army camper van

Once we get out of lockdown one of the first places I’ll visit is Bovington. It’s my first time there and I’m looking at stopping over in Poole at the Premier Inn.

How many days is it worth allowing for a good look around the museum?

Is there anything else around there worth visiting?

Recommended places to eat?
On Poole Quay I had some very good fish and chips a couple of summer ago. Will have a streetview driveby and get back to about which one it was.

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
On Poole Quay I had some very good fish and chips a couple of summer ago. Will have a streetview driveby and get back to about which one it was.
I had an outstanding kebab in Poole once.... sorry - it was after closing time, I’ve no idea where it was.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
@dingerr I messaged HHQ RTR yesterday, I’ve been given this info.
Wool is all B+B you’d have to phone around.
Alternatively
Springfield Country Hotel Wareham.
Food and Accommodation Cove Hotel.
Just food
The Red Lion Winrith
The Countryman Winrith.
The Limestone Hotel
Castle Inn
Weld Arms
Rudd’s Lulworth.
Hope that’s of some help.
You wouldn't have got that detail when RHQ was in Elverton St.

Bovington and the ranges is pretty much where I fell in love with things military (that and Corfe Castle). I remember climbing on a tank when I was about six and getting shouted at by one of the museum staff and then getting shouted at by my dad (ex-Westminster Dragoons and RTR). Thus I learned at an early age that showing curiosity and initiative in a military context would involve being shouted at.

It's a bit sobering when someone you knew as a schoolboy is on the memorial though.

You wouldn't have got that detail when RHQ was in Elverton St.

Bovington and the ranges is pretty much where I fell in love with things military (that and Corfe Castle). I remember climbing on a tank when I was about six and getting shouted at by one of the museum staff and then getting shouted at by my dad (ex-Westminster Dragoons and RTR). Thus I learned at an early age that showing curiosity and initiative in a military context would involve being shouted at.

It's a bit sobering when someone you knew as a schoolboy is on the memorial though.
HHQ RTR have FB page, that’s how I got the dit.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

Ayatollah

Old-Salt
I did Saracen and 432 courses at the training center at Bovington, in the early '70s, they had a nice drive-by-wire simulator. It's funny how having the controls in the center of the vehicle makes a big difference, and easier than going from a right to left hooker.

My Bedford MJ 87 KD 08... was taken over the tank trail as part of driver training.... still want a copy of the picture of the instructor and student standing on the top of the only 6 inches that was above water of my seriously flooded engine.... one way too also flatten the batteries. It did have zero O, A and B jobs.... but I didn't have to touch it for 2 years as the REME had it in shop slowly fixing it.

Last edited:
My Bedford MJ 87 KD 08... was taken over the tank trail as part of driver training.... still want a copy of the picture of the instructor and student standing on the top of the only 6 inches that was above water of my seriously flooded engine.... one way too also flatten the batteries. It did have zero O, A and B jobs.... but I didn't have to touch it for 2 years as the REME had it in shop slowly fixing it.

Two years? clearly you did not offer enough yellow handbags (or the local equivalent if this was not BAOR). A couple more and they might have kept it for longer.

Last edited:
Two years? clearly you did not offer enough yellow handbags (or the local equivalent if this was not BAOR). A couple more and they might have kept it for longer.
I did not want the flatbed in the first place.... the 3 ton box body for the truck was on dolly wheels in a super secure garage.... I got stiffed with maintaining it (AND I didn't have a HGV licence) till someone thought about driver training (Not driver training me though).

And I was a green stripe export Golden Handbag.... not the boring red..... many years in BAOR, I know how the Herforder negotiations go.

87 KD 08 had been left on a car park for 2 years, 30 Sigs decided it was fair game for the Rubies, for the bulbs, for the BCF, for the batteries, for the spare wheel (Yes, they stole the spare wheel) for the wing mirrors.... on the plus side there was birds nest on the engine block and another over the offside tool bin..... yeh, all the tools had gone as well.

And it was 3 Sqn 30 Signal Regiment..... nobody else had Bedford MK/MJ's.

And 2 years because water in the original diesel engine is not good.... and the replacement reconditioned engine blew at it's seals. (Painted a duck egg blue).

This is nothing compared to (BAOR) 22 GN 99.

And I hear you have the wrong engine in your 131 Tiger tank.

A KwK 88mm L56. sexy.... but a PaK!

Last edited:
You do know that on the sly, Americans asked to "Lend" Sherman Fireflys? They only made 400 of them.

A couple of enterprising British Officers went to America and said "lets see if we can shove a 17 Pdr in this new Sherman Tank".

3 inch, (76.2mm, which you will find again and again and again.. even in it's 7.62mm version).

Last edited: