Bovington Tank Museum

bob231

War Hero
I see there is a D Day museum in Portland, about 40 minutes drive from Bovvy. Has anybody been there?
It's close enough for me to go recce at some point if interested.

Bear in mind it's right down at the south end of Portsmouth, your 40 mins is optimistic.

Bear in mind it's right down at the south end of Portsmouth, your 40 mins is optimistic.

Sorry, I should have said Castletown D Day Centre.

Daz

LE
Plenty to see here Dingerr

The dinosaur museum will be full of kids - thefuckinglittlecunts.

I’ll give Thomas Hardy’s cottage a miss, I doubt it’s wheelchair accessible

Teddy Bears? I’d rather gnaw my legs off.

The other stuff looks good though.

I notice Beaulieu isn’t too far of a stretch.

Last edited:

HE117

LE

I notice Beaulieu isn’t to far of a stretch.
Quite an interesting SOE exhibit at Beaulieu I was not expecting.. it was one of their training camps..!

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I see there is a D Day museum in Portland, about 40 minutes drive from Bovvy. Has anybody been there?
There's also a D-Day museum on the seafront at Southsea. Never been in.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer

You're confusing Portland and Southsea. See ⬆

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer

Beaulieu isn't bad, but expensive. Consider return visits within a year to maximise the return from your outlay.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Quite an interesting SOE exhibit at Beaulieu I was not expecting.. it was one of their training camps..!
A Luftwaffe map on display there puts the road past my cul de sac as the northern boundary of Southampton in 1940, with this house (according to my deceased neighbour, who'd lived here since the estate was built) being built on the site of a pig farm outside the town. Explains the local pond life.

As the fields and woods are all being built up, it now goes all the way to the M27 (which wasn't there in 1940, or indeed 40 years later).

Beaulieu depends on where you end up staying. Premier in Poole would be about 2 and a half hours away.

QRK2

LE
There's also a D-Day museum on the seafront at Southsea. Never been in.

I visited a few years back, pretty good but what made it stand out was the presence of a few Normandy veterans on site chatting to visitors that day. It's definitely down for a re-visit now they have the LCT in place.

Last edited:
IIRC wasn't his Brough in Imp war museum? Or did they pinch it back?

the Brough at Bovy wasn't actually one he rode, but hey It's a Brough Superior!

the DDay Museum on Southsea Common, worth a visit, they have the Overlord Tapestry, some armoured Vehicles, quite a well presented Museum, but it'sa been years, I understand the Tank landing Craft is there now. Opposite is a nice chip shop that do ok tea in styrofoam cups run by some nice old ladies.

Alice in Portsmouth.jpg

cheekily sneaks a picture of his Moggy pickup parked outside the DDAY museum.

A word of warning about Dorset. It's bloody primitive!

A few years ago the Wife suggested renting a cottage somewhere for a week to have a holiday with us and the dogs, plenty of country side and beaches to stroll around, that sort of thing.

So that little imp in my brain pipes up 'I hear Dorset's nice', to which she agrees. She even lets me carry out my plan of slopping off down Bovy for two days. Anyway we arrive in the village (out ot the west end of Dorset, Bovy was quite some distance away). No where, and I mean nowhere accepted electronic payment, and there was no cash point. The yokels for several towns and villages in each direction only understood cash. Eventually we found a supermarket with a cash point a town over from us, but it came as a shock.

Equally, the only time I had decent phone reception was on a hall, at some ancient and very windswept iron age fort out in the middle of nowhere. The locals seemed to communicate with smoke signals.

I would say the area around Bovy doesn't seem to be plagued as such, and everywhere is fully up to date and able to use cards etc. Jsut saying if you push out further afield be prepared. Let's put it this way, I'm from the Fens and live out that way, and I think the place we ended up is primitive.

I’m about 4 hours from Poole, the plan would be:

Day 1: Drive to Hotel, mooch around and evening meal in Poole.
Day 2: Tank Museum
Day 3: Tank museum or D Day Centre
Day 4: Drive home.

I don’t need to be a 1000 miles an hour, it’s more about relaxing, enjoying a museum or two and some decent food.

A word of warning about Dorset. It's bloody primitive!

A few years ago the Wife suggested renting a cottage somewhere for a week to have a holiday with us and the dogs, plenty of country side and beaches to stroll around, that sort of thing.

So that little imp in my brain pipes up 'I hear Dorset's nice', to which she agrees. She even lets me carry out my plan of slopping off down Bovy for two days. Anyway we arrive in the village (out ot the west end of Dorset, Bovy was quite some distance away). No where, and I mean nowhere accepted electronic payment, and there was no cash point. The yokels for several towns and villages in each direction only understood cash. Eventually we found a supermarket with a cash point a town over from us, but it came as a shock.

Equally, the only time I had decent phone reception was on a hall, at some ancient and very windswept iron age fort out in the middle of nowhere. The locals seemed to communicate with smoke signals.

I would say the area around Bovy doesn't seem to be plagued as such, and everywhere is fully up to date and able to use cards etc. Jsut saying if you push out further afield be prepared. Let's put it this way, I'm from the Fens and live out that way, and I think the place we ended up is primitive.

And long may it last.
Dorset progresses at the speed Dorset wants to progress.

Local organisation at its finest.

IIRC wasn't his Brough in Imp war museum? Or did they pinch it back?
Lawrence’s Brough is a historical phenomenon, in his riding life he owned eight Brough’s. IWMs one is one of his bikes and it’s the one he died on. That particular Brough is number seven, number eight was still being built.
The Landing Craft the navy restored is at the DDay museum Southsea. She has a hard canopy over her, in the cargo well they have a Sherman and a Churchill tanks.

Latest Threads