Bovington Tank Museum

Once we get out of lockdown one of the first places I’ll visit is Bovington. It’s my first time there and I’m looking at stopping over in Poole at the Premier Inn.

How many days is it worth allowing for a good look around the museum?

Is there anything else around there worth visiting?

Recommended places to eat?

To be honest mate, its a cracking museum but unless there is an event going on you will see everything inside 2-3 hours, not sure what else is around apart from TE Lawrence's house in Clouds Lane which I saw a sign for when I visited the museum but did not visit myself - it is only 2 oe 3 miles away from the museum. I;ve visited the museum 3 or 4 times because I really like it but a few hours only is reqd

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Once we get out of lockdown one of the first places I’ll visit is Bovington. It’s my first time there and I’m looking at stopping over in Poole at the Premier Inn.

Go and have a look at the pointy heads at West Moors, that’ll do for a start.

Then go to Kimmeridge Bay, always a nice day out.

To be honest mate, its a cracking museum but unless there is an event going on you will see everything inside 2-3 hours, not sure what else is around apart from TE Lawrence's house in Clouds Lane which I saw a sign for when I visited the museum but did not visit myself
Monkey World!

NSP

LE

Had some good scoff at the Royal Oak in Bere Regis - after a day at the TM, coincidentally. They are also a hotel but I'm not sure how chariot-friendly that is.

I'd block out at least two days to fully appreciate the full exhibition - maybe even three. You can get around in one if you are there for doors open - but that's not really taking the time to soak up all the history and detail and absorb all the information panels and stuff. And that's with actual leg things and a 4.5mph default walking pace (I might look like a lazy fucker but I am actually not!).

Do a recce and find out if they are opening the preservation centre to the public (basically a warehouse for the collection not in the main exhibition but if they didn't cll it a preservation centre the lottery wouldn't have paid for it). There's a lot of stuff not often seen in there - a BARV and the original Panzer II, which isn't. It's the Swedish vehicle that the Hermans industrial-espionaged the designs for and copied. The PC is usually only viewable from a small gallery at the front and I can't remember if there is a lift or not. However, with your notoriety history if you 'phone ahead they might arrange to let you in on the ground floor and even trundle up and down the aisles if you explain that you're ex-mil', etc.

I'd hold back that you have a street named after you, though - always best to have something in reserve!

If they chin you off there's some of my piccies of the PC collection over in the self-taken photos and model forum TM threads.

Last edited:

Bardeyai

Old-Salt

Speaking as one of the Jockanese, South Dorset is God’s country.
Lulworth Cove ought to be accessible ; delight in a town called Piddletrenthide; be impressed by the Cerne Abbas giant.
if you fancy a detour visit Stourhead.

I need confidence in wheelchair accessibility.
I don't know about accommodation but a day will do the museum. It has ramps and lifts. There is a warehouse of reserve collection which they open on Tankfest days. The warehouse is crammed and a tight place to get around. Have a look at the website. Bovington has just refurbished. Also if you email them they are very helpful and very accommodating for ex forces. Good food in the cafe too.

Daz

LE
Speaking as one of the Jockanese, South Dorset is God’s country.
Lulworth Cove ought to be accessible ; delight in a town called Piddletrenthide; be impressed by the Cerne Abbas giant.
if you fancy a detour visit Stourhead.
The Poachers Inn in Piddletrenthide has some wheelchair-friendly rooms by the swimming pool, it also allows dogs

Daz

LE
I don't know about accommodation but a day will do the museum. It has ramps and lifts. There is a warehouse of reserve collection which they open on Tankfest days. The warehouse is crammed and a tight place to get around. Have a look at the website. Bovington has just refurbished. Also if you email them they are very helpful and very accommodating for ex forces. Good food in the cafe too.
Good food??? That proof you'll eat anything

Daz

LE
Also within range, there's Castletown D-Day Centre & Museum - Portland, Dorset. However, I'm not sure the upper levels are accessible for wheelchair users, Chesil Beach car park cafe does a nice brew, you've also got Portland Castle down there

When I head down to Bovy I normally stay at Breachfields B&B in Wool

No idea on accessibility though.

Scoff can be obtained from the Black Bear pub round the corner. It's cheap and plentiful, but might not be the highest quality.

As to the museum. That's a tricky one. Being the cynical jaded type I can normally stroll around in a few hours (if I even go into the museum. I normally go pester the guys in the library). However, someone new may take some time. I would defiantly allocate a day to do it. Also don't forget the stuff outside the Museum.

My usual trip there is travel down AM day 1. Go to library PM day 1. Over night as above. The visit the Library AM day 2, travel home PM day 2.

There is, if you're interested, a Lay-by near Bovy (off king George road IIRC). It has two attractions, first its where that tit Laurence learnt about the importance of cycle helmets. Second, there's a viewing area where you can see panzers being driven about by the Army, and a honking great big sand berm for them to experiment on.

@dingerr I messaged HHQ RTR yesterday, I’ve been given this info.
Wool is all B+B you’d have to phone around.
Alternatively
Springfield Country Hotel Wareham.
Food and Accommodation Cove Hotel.
Just food
The Red Lion Winrith
The Countryman Winrith.
The Limestone Hotel
Castle Inn
Weld Arms
Rudd’s Lulworth.
Hope that’s of some help.

Very close to Bovington is a Gliding Club and adjacent to that a National class Clay pigeon shooting facility.
Both enjoyable activities and compatible with your injuries.

The Pig on The Beach in Studland has a reputation for outstanding food - but a bit pricey.
When you ask about wheelchair accessability ( which they do have ) you could then ask if they do discounts for BLESMA members .....

We have Sutton bank ............... fly or die....................

slick

LE

The Military museum in Dorchester is very good.... Home - The Keep Military Museum, Dorchester, Dorset
And Nothe Fort in Weymouth.... Home

Both have access for wheelchairs, and lifts to upper/lower floors

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
When I head down to Bovy I normally stay at Breachfields B&B in Wool

No idea on accessibility though.

Scoff can be obtained from the Black Bear pub round the corner. It's cheap and plentiful, but might not be the highest quality.

As to the museum. That's a tricky one. Being the cynical jaded type I can normally stroll around in a few hours (if I even go into the museum. I normally go pester the guys in the library). However, someone new may take some time. I would defiantly allocate a day to do it. Also don't forget the stuff outside the Museum.

My usual trip there is travel down AM day 1. Go to library PM day 1. Over night as above. The visit the Library AM day 2, travel home PM day 2.

There is, if you're interested, a Lay-by near Bovy (off king George road IIRC). It has two attractions, first its where that tit Laurence learnt about the importance of cycle helmets. Second, there's a viewing area where you can see panzers being driven about by the Army, and a honking great big sand berm for them to experiment on.
The more discerning amongst former BAOR alcoholic’s may wish to note that the Black Bear in Wool sells Asbach. Happy daze.

Daz

LE

Latest Threads