Bovington Tank Museum

ECE-Tech

War Hero
Anyone else subscribed to their mailshots and just got their latest showing a Challenger 1 with the TOGS compartment on the left hand side of the turret ? PMSL
3d40f81c-5c99-4fd2-9d7d-50d3a4017b4d.jpg

Anyone else subscribed to their mailshots and just got their latest showing a Challenger 1 with the TOGS compartment on the left hand side of the turret ? PMSL
View attachment 552788

It's a museum. Like all museums (Look at the IWM) they lack the resources to employ SME's on their exhibits, and have to make do with generalists. Howlers abound in a lot of their content.

What its slightly less easy to forgive is their scrapping/dumping choices.

It's a museum. Like all museums (Look at the IWM) they lack the resources to employ SME's on their exhibits, and have to make do with generalists. Howlers abound in a lot of their content.

What its slightly less easy to forgive is their scrapping/dumping choices.
They scrap stuff? Like what?!?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Did not notice that. I was an ECE so only spotted the TOGS compartment. Commanders were normally just an obstruction to me getting to where I needed to be to rectify whatever the fault was.
Being a former Comd that is what attracted my attention otherwise I would not know where to sit, so you were one of those clean hands and coveralls REME bods who insisted on me getting out into the cold and wet.:)

ECE-Tech

War Hero
Clean hands & coveralls ? How dare you, sir ! Maint days on BATUS you went off for a shower and a change of clothing. We stayed fixing the vehicles ready for the next phase.

Dryclad91

War Hero
ECE`s always wanted to be "fiddling" around behind you, muttering "effing metadynes"..........:frustrated:............best option get out into the wet and cold......:(

I have a lot of time for Bovington. The curator David Wiley is passionate about his charges. Have a look at the Tank Chats on YouTube Bovington Tank Museum

ECE-Tech

War Hero
I agree. Just a shame that a PR bod there sent something out before it being cleared first for obvious errors.
I did send an email to the Museum first informing them of the error before posting it here.

They scrap stuff? Like what?!?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Some time after the arena was built, so after 1991, they scrapped the prototype FV221. There's several other items they've binned as well.

Look outside the front as well. There's the hulks of what I think are the only two surving A22D gun carriers. The plan there is to leave them outside until they rust away. They've discounted even just a comsmettic restoration.

I'll ask around for a list of scrapped items.

Once we get out of lockdown one of the first places I’ll visit is Bovington. It’s my first time there and I’m looking at stopping over in Poole at the Premier Inn.

How many days is it worth allowing for a good look around the museum?

Is there anything else around there worth visiting?

Recommended places to eat?

Diko

Old-Salt
We loved to take our kids to Bovington tank museum they enjoyed their visits there. We lived in Southbourne, Bournemouth and it’s only up the road a bit easy to get to.
I could explain how the SLR they had on display there worked to the Mrs and kids.
Happy days.

ECE-Tech

War Hero
For place to stay, I can heartily recommend The Bramlies in Dorchester. The rooms are great, the breakfasts are fantastic, and the service Alison provides is second to none. We have already booked for tankfest.

Once we get out of lockdown one of the first places I’ll visit is Bovington. It’s my first time there and I’m looking at stopping over in Poole at the Premier Inn.

I would say two days minimum to see and take in the whole museum. Make sure one of those days is when they actually get some panzers out for a drive. You don’t get the essential being of a tank without the noise (although I guess I’m preaching to the converted here).

Clouds Hill is just up the road. NT place, TE Lawrence’s gaff.

Can‘t offer an opinion on scran, but you can get food in Dorset. It’s not outer space. Oh, hang on...

Sadurina

Old-Salt
Wynards Farm Winfrith Newbugh B&B. (Ground floor room with level access, I think. Very nice B&B. Approx 5 miles from Bov and 1.5 miles from the Sailors Return gastro pub. Both excellent and recommended over several visits.

For place to stay, I can heartily recommend The Bramlies in Dorchester. The rooms are great, the breakfasts are fantastic, and the service Alison provides is second to none. We have already booked for tankfest.

I need confidence in wheelchair accessibility.

I’ve got a couple of Regimental mates that live in Wool, I ask if there’s anywhere there that does Disabled accommodation. The RBL own a Pub in Wool now I’ll find out if it does food etc.

Latest Threads