Bourbons in the UK?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Virgil, Nov 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apologies if posted before (I didn't find it).

Sunday evening and sipping on my 2nd Henry McKenna--750ml for $10, great price.

What's the status of bourbon in the U.K. in popularity, price and availability.

I know JD seems to be popular but how about the great bourbons like Maker's Mark, Wild Turkey, Woodsford, Ancient Age, etc.? (Yes Ancient Age is cheap, but still one of my favorite bourbons.)

For Scotch drinkers what bourbons do you love or simply tolerate? I've picked up The Famous Grouse for blended, Glenmorangie & Jimmy Walker Black.

What Scotch would you recommend a bourbon drinker to cut his teeth on? I'll take a shot at some suggestions.

EDIT: Since it's the NAAFI I'll volunteer a fcuk you to the first smart a$$ remark.
  2. [​IMG]

45p a packet.
  3. You get five or six brands in most haddows or threshers.
  4. My all time favourite Bourbon was Philippine Élisabeth d'Orléans. Apparently, she kept a stable of well endowed blackamoors to sate her prodigious appetite for rough anal sex.
  5. I like bourbon also. Normally JD, but I'll try anything once.

Maker's Mark, Wild Turkey, Woodsford, are all readily available (not always in the bars). So is Buffalo Trace, Bullett and others.

I've not noticed Ancient Age though, and will keep an eye out for it in the future.
  6. I agree with TT....thats a real Bourbon

7. No it's not. It's a cheap Asda ripoff.
  8. If I might direct Sirs attention the this part of the interwebby thing;

The Whisky Exchange

Sir will observe that there is no shortage of americana including, at a ludicrous price, Moonshine.

There may be one or two Malts available as well.
  9. That's a girl's drink isn't it?
  10. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

JD is NOT a Bourbon, horribly sickly stuff it is, it is a sour mash or Tennessee Sipping Whiskey.

For Bourbons I alwatys quite fancy the wheat bourbons such as Old Fitzgerald, but aged Bourbons like Pappy van Winkle are superb and should be saught out.

For a Bourbon drinker to switch to whisky I would recommend the smoother lighter malts such as Highland Park, Macallan, or Royal Lochnagar.
  11. MM & WT are great stuff.

AA is cheap stuff here in most areas. [In the U.S. liquor is controlled at the state level and it's the most maddening thing possible. Fifty different approaches plus DC and territories all running their own versions.] For the price AA (Henry McKenna) might be the best bourbon around, imho.

The makers call it Tennessee (TN) Whiskey (w/the 'e') because of the charcoal filtration thingy, but I think it technically satisfies the definition of a bourbon. I've never disliked as much many whiskey lovers do but even JD has better single-barrel stuff in its line.

Have you tried the other Lincoln County, TN whiskey, George Dickel?

OF is fine stuff.

BTW, Rye Whiskey has been making a real comeback here in the U.S. I picked up a bottle of Sazerac Rye and it's outstanding.

Thank you.

Where I live here in the Pacific Northwest, Canadian Whiskey is extremely popular. Usually the stuff is far too sweet for me

12. Please don't make me pop into ASDA or TESCO for a bottle.

Makers Mark is quite nice
    Elijah Craig not too bad
    Wild Turkey & Four Roses just waiting to be opened.
  13. I get just about all of my (wine excluded) alcohol from here. They have a good selection of bourbon.

As for single malt recommendations, I say jump in with both feet and go for an Islay. And if you're doing that, it has to be Laphroig. Mmm phenolic.
  14. By American law Bourbon has to be at least 50% corn.That's why Jack Daniels is labeled Tennessee whiskey.For my money Woodford Reserve is tops.