Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bouncing bomb - worth it???

Hi all,

I've had a few ups and downs with civvy dossbags. Broken zips and the like. I keep wondering how heavy the bouncing bomb is in KG? And how on earth much else fits into a short back Bergan (yes I'm a midget) with a bouncing bomb inside it.

Is it worth investing in a civvy 4 season doss bag? Or are they generally a similar bulk/weight? It seems that BB is more reliable but over sized whilst civvy ones are unreliable (sometimes) but pack better. Please could you Guys tell me your experiences of it and if you think it's worth splashing out on a civvy one or sticking to the bomb. Thanks in advance.

For the theme music alone, yes.
Other ups are the code word for success, they don't make them like that anymore and "I've got some letters to write".

What are you using it for?

And what performance do you want.

The bouncing bomb is a great sleeping to get into when stinking, wet and muddy, for the price it costs you and with someone to hump it most of the way to your bed space.

Climbing in the Himalaya, you may want something else.

Having a mate sleep on your floor, another bag might be better.

What are you using it for and what do you want from it?

Just generally I mean is it worth the money to get a civvy 4 season doss bag or just stick with issued bouncing bomb?

For what?

Exercise? SCBC? Mate coming round?

Having had the 00’s bomb, Carinthia bag and the new one, no way would I spunk my cash on a bag I was expecting to wear wet and muddy boots inside. The isssue kit is actually very good, especially for the price you pay. If times are a bit better, a softie 9 works for most of the year, but I wouldn’t get in one with stinking kit.

Thanks for the replies. I'm particularly on about use for any winter exercise (got one in Brecon next week). It's just with all of the extra ecm kit and rations etc I can't help but feel as if there's got to be a lighter More compact 4 season doss bag, but it's true the bouncing bomb has never let me down on a winter ex. I'll see how this one goes but I'll also have a look round a local outdoor shop. Cheers guys

Dude if you are at Brecon I am sure the nice people at Dixie's Corner can cheerfully sort you out for something other than the space hog bouncing bomb.

I had to use something else to simply shave off the weight of the damn thing.

From memory I dumped it for a softie 3

Softie Elite 3

-5 for comfort, -10 if you put a smock on and wrap your head refugee stylie with shemagh and stuff.

Suddenly I had room in my bergen. Stuck a rubble bag down inside the bottom for my boots to keep it clean. I never froze to death if I had a thermarest under me and in a bivi bag, used it on Brecon/Sennybridge for both exercise and civillian hill walking.

I try not to spend money on green kit (being a mere STAB) but this was to save what is left of my back from weight I don't need.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Four season bags are shite.

Buy the bag you need, for your 'season' and if that means you have four bags, you have four bags.

The BB is great if you want a sleeping bag you can abuse like a basement hostage whore, but if you want a Snugpak or something, which I've had on ops and are great, you'll need to be wary about taking better care of it.

Buy the bag you need, for your 'season' and if that means you have four bags, you have four bags.

The BB is great if you want a sleeping bag you can abuse like a basement hostage whore, but if you want a Snugpak or something, which I've had on ops and are great, you'll need to be wary about taking better care of it.

Thanks alot. I think i'm going to stick with the BB for now, given the time of year - I do have a much lighter summer one which obviously makes humping a bergan about much easier. Normally I'd have my trusty Pinz Gun Tow Vehicle to lob my kit into the back of but this year I find myself on a fair amount of infantry based courses!

On ops did you generally carry a very lightweight dossbag on overnight stuff? A mate of mine told me he got away with just sleeping in his warm kit, although I heard that Afghan nights can get utterly freezing!

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Thanks alot. I think i'm going to stick with the BB for now, given the time of year - I do have a much lighter summer one which obviously makes humping a bergan about much easier. Normally I'd have my trusty Pinz Gun Tow Vehicle to lob my kit into the back of but this year I find myself on a fair amount of infantry based courses!

On ops did you generally carry a very lightweight dossbag on overnight stuff? A mate of mine told me he got away with just sleeping in his warm kit, although I heard that Afghan nights can get utterly freezing!

Afghan is baltic at night, in summer time it can vary, but winter you'd end up man down. I used a Snugpak inside a Terra Nova Jupiter bivvy bag. The BV kept the wind out, the Snugpak kept me warm, and combined I could just hit the deck and sleep. If it rained, I zipped the BV hood up and was completely protected. Once went to sleep on dry sand, woke up half submerged, still dry. The others weren't so lucky!

Latest Threads