Bouncing bomb, were there 2 different types?

Were there two types of bouncing bomb bags?
One label states Arctic while the other has no mention of it, so was there a temperate version?
Also, if there is a temperate version, would it be suitable for use in a UK winter?

Cheers,
Yorkie

There were, although I never got to use the Arctic.

Temperate version was fine with liner.

B&B is more civilised.

One label states Arctic while the other has no mention of it, so was there a temperate version?
Also, if there is a temperate version, would it be suitable for use in a UK winter?

Cheers,
Yorkie
Yes one bounced and one sunk, hope it helps

There were, although I never got to use the Arctic.

Temperate version was fine with liner.

B&B is more civilised.
You can't get room service and a massage on rates in a B&B, and we're only allowed to use approved 5*s these days - RAF policy - sorry trenchy types

petetheplane

LE
Book Reviewer
A few types ? The first ones dropped over Reculver Bay in Kent didn't have an outer wooden lining, which shed off on impact anyway. One of our aircraft on the Dams raid was shot down with an intact bomb and the Germans tried to to reproduce the effect, not knowing that the backward spin was invovl;eds The Mosquitoes of 618 Squadron never got tried out.

I thought we were on doss bags?

I thought that my goldfish was as thick as shit. Then I met you. How refreshing.
My apologies, I really thought the OP was talking sleeping bags.

Well I live and learn.

I thought we were on doss bags?
That's you bairns. Us mature types think Dambusters.
Should've have put doss bag in the thread title.
Youth today what are they coming to?

I imagine a bb dossbag would stay dry after being catapulted from a low flying a/c across a dam. Sounds like a good buy.

Highball was an experimental bouncing bomb which could be dropped by a specially adapted Mosquito bomber and used against naval targets, however this was never used in action.
Upkeep was the bouncing bomb designed and used against the dams.

Also known as green maggots.

No good for taking dams out though.

Hey. After one of our humpy mortar plt had used one for an exercise you could defeat chobham armour with it.
A dam? Pfft!

Hey. After one of our humpy mortar plt had used one for an exercise you could defeat chobham armour with it.
A dam? Pfft!
I had a mate who tied his to the exhaust guard on a ferret. He had an uncomfortable exercise after he turned it to toast.

@Yorkie1970 please clarify, are we talking slumber bags for a winters eve, or the taking out of Ladybower reservoir this Christmas day?

Cheers

ME

Is the huge bergan-sized doss bag still the issued one?
No idea, but they were shite. We were lucky to have personal ones rather than from a pool. Feathers were never evenly dispersed or were trying the great escape.

Adequete for dossing in the forest at the Moehne See (helping out on a YTS adventure training week) so that you can observe the rebuilt dam seeing what damage was done during the WW2 raid.