Boudica

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by buggrit, Mar 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Im on to book three of this excellent series ( Boudica Dreaming the Eagle, Dreaming the Bull, Dreaming the Hound, Dreaming the Serpent Spear) by Manda Scott.

If anyone has an interest in ancient Britain or the Romans I'd thoroughly reccommend these books. Its a work of fiction, but she does the old Bernard Cornwell thing at the end with the authors note pointing out the historical facts.

Absolutely brilliant read, just cant put the damn books down.

2. Would they be a good (appropriate) read for a 12 year old who is interested in the period?

3. Hmmm it has a lot of quite graphic battles and methods of roman and briton torture and execution.

It depends how much you want to expose your kiddie to, but considering what horror films are like nowadays the books are probably quite tame. As for historical accuracy, she has said that a lot of the history of that period was lost due to the turbulant age so she has used writers discretion sometimes.

However it does give a great insight into the lives of the tribes and romans and the way they lived which drew me to the books in the first place so for someone interested in the period and the actual history, while some of the stuff is graphic, it is actually how they lived.

4. When you’re done with these, try Under the Eagle by Simon Scarrow. It’s the first of a trilogy and is told from the Roman perspective. Same period and genre. Same sort of historical information at the end as well.

5. I saw that last time I was in a bookshop, wondered what he was like. I'll pick it up. Cheers.

6. Sounds good. I've just finished the second book of the Attila trilogy by William Napier which is in a similar vein (i.e. lots of graphic battle scenes between Huns, Goths and Romans!)

7. We live on what was once a Roman cavalry camp so my imagination always strays to what conditions were like in the 1st Century.

8. Brilliant novels. Of course, as a Rangers fan, I have a soft spot for old Attila! :twisted:

I would also reccomend the novels Wolf of the Plain and Lords of the Bow, about the rise to power of Ghengis Khan. :D