Bottled Light - Brilliantly Simple, Simply Brilliant.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by JoeCivvie, Aug 13, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 1
  1. I saw that a while back.

Pure genius from someone motivated by complete nobility.
  2. It has its limitations though. Such as, it only works during the day. It probably isn't effective if you have windows. In a building that has a pitched roof and ceilings, it only illuminates the attic. You'd get more light in through a rooflight - though it may not disperse as well.

Beside that, it's just a cheap version of a light tube and the principle has been around for over 60 years. And it involves making holes in the roof - the bloke says that sealing it in with polyester resin avoids leaks, I say that it'll leak within a year - and within two years the bottle itself will decompose (it took less than 2 months for exposed water bottles to drop to bits during Telic 1/2).

This bloke seems the sort that could sell you an IED-detecting device, working on the water-divining principle, for a mere couple of thousand quid...
  3. Maybe the Science Forum can explain why it works best when you shade the top of it with a film container. What's that catchphrase used by Spock?
  4. "It's light, Jim, but not as we know it."?
    • Like Like x 3
  5. _Chimurenga_

_Chimurenga_ LE Gallery Guru

If you put red dye in the water, can you use them in a photographic dark room ?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. "Which of you twats used my mug?"
    • Like Like x 2
  7. I was referring to Mister Spock, not Doctor Spock.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. "Which of you çunts used my mug?"
  9. We had a simpler version of that lamp at home when I was a youngster.

We referred to them as "windows".
    • Like Like x 1
  10. What I found interesting was the experience in Bangladesh - if the charity fitted them for nothing then the owners failed to carry out any maintenance. If they sold them (price of a bag of rice) then the locals looked after them better because they were valued!!
  11. Probably not but I'd patent the idea if I were you - they will be very popular in 3rd world knocking shops...

12. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Many people know the price of every thing and the value of nothing! Most equate value with price. I wonder if we put racing stripes and a turbo badge on the bottle would we be able to sell them to them at twice the price as an "Upgrade" ?
  13. As most housing in the Philippines, and probably in the shanties of Brazil is single storey, flat roofed and roofed using wriggly tin this will work well. In the case of the Philippines most people get up at sunrise and go to bed at sunset, so night time lighting is no problem. As for replacements, there is no shortage of empty plastic bottles.
  14. _69195942_moser_montage.jpg

Is it me or does he look like he's in an 18x24 in the picture. Some of those bloody things used to be so full of holes you never even needed to roll the windows up let alone stick bottles of water in them. If this was to become military technology how long before some wag decided to replace the fluid with "one of their own" to vary the light?