Boston Police, Firearms & Pokémon

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
This is in the Naafi because of the total randomness of it all.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/aug/24/pokemon-world-championships-gamers-arrested-after-firearms-found-in-car

"Boston police have arrested two gamers heading to the Pokémon world championships after firearms and several hundred rounds of ammunition were allegedly found in their car.

The men were originally suspected of making violent social media threats to people attending the gaming event in Boston. Security at the convention reported the threats on Thursday and the suspects were stopped as they were about to enter the gaming event hours later, Boston police said.

Police said they released the men, who were from Iowa, but seized their car after learning they might have guns inside.

Police said a warranted search of the car on Friday found a 12-gauge shotgun, an AR-15 rifle, several hundred rounds of ammunition, and a hunting knife. Police said 18-year-old Kevin Norton, of Ames, and 27-year-old James Stumbo, of Boone, were arrested at their hotel in Saugus, north of Boston.

They are being arraigned on firearms charges on Monday. It is not immediately known if they have attorneys."

For those who don't know Pokémon is a media franchise owned by The Pokémon Company, It is centered on fictional creatures called "Pokémon", which humans capture and train to fight each other for sport.

The franchise began as a pair of video games for the original Game Boy, developed by Game Freak and published by Nintendo. The franchise now spans video games, trading card games, animated television shows and movies, comic books, and toys. Pokémon is the second-most successful and lucrative video game-based media franchise in the world, behind only Nintendo's Mario franchise.

So basically it's played by geeks. I didn't know that there was a world championship, but you live and learn.

Quite why this pair felt the need to turn up with firearms is beyond me

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Boston Mass, not Lincs.

Quite why this pair felt the need to turn up with firearms is beyond me
Think about it. Why would nerds possess nasty weapons?
To brass up a school or shopping centre.

Ah, but isn't it their constitutional right to bear arms? Even going to a Pokemon convention?

Ah, but isn't it their constitutional right to bear arms? Even going to a Pokemon convention?
I think the north eastern States are a bit stricter than the rest of the Union though I'm happy to be corrected.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

an AR-15 with a high-capacity feeding device
I take it that in non-scaremongering English that means magazine?

Given all the facts, if I was the police I might have let this one run a bit.
Given they were headed to a Pokemon convention, if I were the police I'd have helped them load up extra ammunition.

I take it that in non-scaremongering English that means magazine?
In Massachusetts that means a magazine with a capacity in excess of ten rounds. In Massachusetts needs a Class A license to carry to do so. I have an unrestricted Class A so could do so. A Class B License to Carry is limited to ten round feeding.

I'd assume brassing up a Pokemon convention is to supply virgin's for Muslin Heaven ?

Kirkz

LE
I'm disappointed!
I thought this was a thread about someone trying to execute this bunch of transvestite pansies for crimes against music.
I was one coma short of a thrapfest.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ExREME..TECH The NAAFI Bar 136
Raven2008 Current Affairs, News and Analysis 12
Peli23 Travel 4

Latest Threads