• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Bosnia

The War had practically finished at the time of the authors experience.

There is a book by Maj Vaugh Kent-Payne, 1 PWO, who was one of the Coy OCs in Vitez on Grapple 2. I have read it and it is available in Bulford Library but I am buggered if I can remember its title. I will try to find out tomorrow, essentially it dealt with the most difficult Bosnia tour (in my experience and opinion), despite 'Bonking Bob's inference otherwise.

It is a matter of note that Maj K-P's driver/BG was the first OR to win the MC for actions in 1993 when a Civvy UN convoy was ambushed on its way to Maglaj.

I can state this with all the confidence in the world. :thumright:

For comedy value "The Big Breach" by Richard Tomlinson is worth a read. He goes to the Balkans in that & would have single-handedly stopped the war had it not been for THE MAN etc ad nauseam...

Walting cnut.

Letterwritingman said:
The War had practically finished at the time of the authors experience.

There is a book by Maj Vaugh Kent-Payne, 1 PWO, who was one of the Coy OCs in Vitez on Grapple 2. I have read it and it is available in Bulford Library but I am buggered if I can remember its title.
Living on the Front Line - a good read.

I think Bosnia Warriors: Living on the Front Line is out of print - I tried to get it but to no avail

All Necessary Measures by Cameron Spence is a pretty good SAS book about a mission in Bosnia

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Have a look at 'Cleanse Their Souls - Peace-Keeping in Bosnia's Civil War 1992-1993' by Monty Woolley. He was a Recce Tp Commander in 9th/12th Lancers and was the first on the scene after the Ahmici Massacre. It's not in depth (it's from his point of view) but a good read.

The-Daddy said:
Letterwritingman - are you that driver? :joker:
Nope Mate, just on that particular tour.

The guy was a man mountain who always wore NI Gloves. He manages to get into a disproportionate number of shots in the BBC video that they were kind enough to make up for us. :biggrin:

"My War Gone By, I Miss It So" by Antony Loyd is a good one. From a junkie journalists perspective but the author was also a former officer.

I agree that Vaughan K-Ps book is good but its a bit too "That's enough about me, let's talk about you. What do you think about me?".

The Milos Stankovic book is also highly recommended.

Latest Threads