Bosnia On the simmer

Type 66

Old-Salt
I've never been to Mostar, but it's interesting to know that nothing's changed in the past 18-19 years. Croats and Muslims in the local authorities including police wouldn't work together and occupied separate floors of office blocks and police stations.
(Interesting that ARRSE auto correct spells "Mostar" as "Mistake").
Muslims don't 'work' with anyone.

I was in Mostar a few months back and our local guide was telling us it's a very uneasy truce there and it could kick off again at any moment.
The Croatian coach driver who took us there summed it up with "Imagine you have four ex wives who you hate, but you live in the same house, that is Bosnia"
That's what patios are for

Type 66

Old-Salt
The Gates of Vienna have been breached. We will have a Bosnia/ Kosovo situation in most European countries within the next 100 years.

Copied across from "the-nuclear-deterrent-and-reasons-for-its-replacement", thread - where I did acknowledge the post is/was something of a DRIFT

Peace is not the absence of conflict, it is the ability to resolve conflict by peaceful means - Ronald Reagan.
I did not know that.

I don't think Reagan was recognised as a great philosopher, but from his earlier career, he was/would have been, adept at voicing whatever the speechwriters put in front of him ;) .

Anyway, I lay claim to a similar - if subtlety different - idea, I explained to one of the BLMF "God Botherers", in 1996.

I was/am, conscious of the then, still, undercurrents of dissatisfaction and frustration that existed (it still does in 2019) . . . and, the naïve willingness of those "In Charge" to believe that when (like "dinner ladies"), they/we leave the "playground", it will NOT all kick-off again :( .

(Which is why "we" are STILL there, in various roles/functions).

I said . . . "The absence of war, does NOT mean, the existence of peace".

I was surprised days later, when everyone was inside the factory building, for that year's Rememberance Parade, and the same God Botherer thought it appropriate to quote/include MY exact words in his surmon!!

It was a purely involuntary reaction, but I said - under my breath - "I said that" !!

Not sure if the officer stood next to me heard, or understood, anything. He like most, seemed to be still thinking about the work, waiting for them, on their desks ;) .

James Blount's got no major gigs booked over Christmas. Get him and his guitar on the next flight out.

Have you ever met a Bosnian Moslem? They’re basically indistinguishable from any other Bosnian unless you’ve been there long enough to learn the code of the family names. Certainly in terms of work ethic...
And the ability to enjoy a free bacon butty in the galley or can of pivo on a Saturday afternoon watching the United/Chelsea game.

And the ability to enjoy a free bacon butty in the galley or can of pivo on a Saturday afternoon watching the United/Chelsea game.
Indeed!

My interpreter explained it to me thus:

“We’re 4-wheeled Moslems. We’re taken to a mosque in a pram when we’re first born. We go in a limo when we’re married, and a hearse when we die. Apart from that we never set foot inside one”.

Indeed!

My interpreter explained it to me thus:

“We’re 4-wheeled Moslems. We’re taken to a mosque in a pram when we’re first born. We go in a limo when we’re married, and a hearse when we die. Apart from that we never set foot inside one”.
Similar wherever in the Muslim world.

I remember having a drink with my interpreter from Kandahar whilst having a smoke whilst he was showing me naked pictures of his girlfriend.

Most of it is maintaining an image .

Have you ever met a Bosnian Moslem? They’re basically indistinguishable from any other Bosnian unless you’ve been there long enough to learn the code of the family names. Certainly in terms of work ethic...
Yep, currently working in a team that includes a female Bosnian Muslim, who is an ex-Miss Bosnia (she is known to have the occasional Tequilla) :D

Exactly.

I knew it was time for me to leave the Balkans when I found myself saying things like “now that’s not a bad one...”
Where I am now, I'm exposed to all the variations of Slivo available! The winner so far was a vintage Hungarian example, quite smooth and no banging hangover the next day! :D

What did the bottle used to look like? I was thinking of getting a relative a bottle as a present..
My rakja is usually brought back in re-used "Fanta" 2-litre plastic bottles ;) .

Latest Threads