Bosnia On the simmer

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by gizmo17, Jan 13, 2018.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  1. Perfect excuse for us to establish another “presence” in the area...

• Like Like x 1
  2. We are going no where. No money. Let some other member of NATO or the EU take its turn.

• Like Like x 14
    • Old Old x 1
  3. Wasn't it the case though that EUFOR came across as a paper tiger with no actual teeth....although the Austrian MPs were seen as the A-H Empire

• Like Like x 3
  4. We always seem to find money when the humanitarian card gets played though. If it does, I’d wager Trump grabs the opportunity with both hands to demonstrate altruism.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Seconded. Popcorn, comfy chair and nice pint of kabinet Supernova.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Because it self funded our own economy, we now pay others for our war fighting materials.

• Like Like x 1
  7. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Good timing, roll up Syria and help out his mates at the other end. Spreading the love.

8. Unless the Yanks start pushing like they did first time round, and only when the Yanks were able to show mass graves, etc, did the EU deign to consider doing anything, then nothing will happen.

• Like Like x 5
  9. I remember the Int briefing before we deployed. It made no sense whatsoever. The Serbs, Bosnian Serbs, Croats, Bosnian Croats, Serbian Croats, Mujahideen, all these factions that were somewhat aligned with some others, but not really. I think the only combination that didn't exist was Serbian Bosniaks. But that was probably only because the Serbs had already offed any.

A true case of "if you think you understand the situation, you haven't been briefed properly".

• Like Like x 18
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. As the UK is negotiating its departure from the EU, it could be described as hypocritical and rather cynical of the UK to (now) become associated with any efforts to frustrate an "entity" - such as Republika Srpska - that is trying to resist being consumed, subsumed, by the overtly expansionist ambitions of Brussels.

Republika Srpska is also determined to resist the persistent move to/influence of, the "Multiculturalism" encouraged by, and which characterises, Sarajevo.

It is suggested that such attitudes within Republika Srpska, might (now) earn the admiration and support of some of those who failed to recognise all the factors at play - and, that were influencing - the last "unpleasantness".

(Was that subtle enough?!).

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Too subtle for me mate!

I blame Tito. If he hadn't died, they'd still be Yugoslavia and there wouldn't have been a war :)

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. The past is the past but I never really understood why the Serbs - who supported us before and during WW1 and WW2 - are the bad guys and the Croats and Bosnians, who had pro-German regimes, are now the good guys.
    I appreciate that some Serbs were forced by events to de facto support of the Germans, but that was mainly for self preservation.

Anyway, hopefully there's some reflection before we step into a situation of middle east-like complexity, and risks (Uncle Vlad).

• Like Like x 6
  13. As an author whose name I can't remember said of the Yugo unpleasantness of the 90s - there are no guys wearing white hats, just two in black hats and one in a very dark grey hat.

Edited for accuracy now I've checked the book "Slaughterhouse - Bosnia and the Failure of the West" by David Reiff, quoting an American colonel with UNPROFOR "There are two black hats and one very grey hat in this war".

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 7