Bosche War Movies

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by codename1157, Oct 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents, Ladies and assorted others

Apologies if this has been done before but I'm an idle toe rag so here goes anyway.

I'm having one of my periodic updates of the Training Wing at home and I seem to remember an old B&W film, probably British made, about Hun POWs in WWII and one in particular about a Jerry that made a home run. If I remember correctly by posing as a Pole and nicking a plane. Any ideas?
  2. You have a training wing in your house??!! You sad cnut! ;)
  3. it was "The One that Got Away" (1957) starring Hardy Kruger.

A repeat escaper he was eventually sent to a camp in Canada where he managed to escape into the states and make his way to South America and then onwards to the fatherland.

Hope this helps.
  4. Many thanks for your help.
  5. You're welcome ;)
  6. Cnut
  7. :D
  8. Further to the sensible posts above I've now ordered The One That Got Away but I'd like to keep going on films based on Hun.

I've got the usual, Cross of Iron, Stalingrad, Das Boot etc...

Any ideas?
  9. I don't think you'll get any better than "Cross if Iron" IMO. An excellent film.
  10. I risk being too obvious here - ' All Quiet On The Western Front?'
  11. "Downfall" is a great film and also "Dresden", both Boxhead made (and the language is German), and both very recent.
  12. Wheels of terror - Septic version of Sven Hassel's book funnily enough entitled Wheels of Terror, about a bunch of degenerate Germans in WW2 - didnt really need to explain that did I ! everyone must of read his books, Truly an awful film, destroyed any notion I had when reading the books
  13. Not a war movie as such but filmed by the Bosch in 43. Try Baron Münchhausen ( Münchhausen ).

There the UK was producing BW Will Hay flicks and Jerry produces this film.

Try watching this and the newer Terry Gillham (Montey Python) film of 1988 see which is the better?
  14. A recently released German film is Der Fälscher ("The Counterfeiter"), the true story of the forging of British currency by Germany in WWII. Jewish forgers imprisoned in Sachsenhausen concentration camp were forced to undertake the counterfeiting.

The fake fivers and higher dominations were the best ever counterfeits of British banknotes (but not perfect). As a result after the war the Bank of England withdrew all dominations of banknotes over £5 until they were re-designed. A £50 banknote was not reintroduced into circulation until 1980.

The movie revolves around the personalities involved in the forgery operation and doesn't go into too much detail about it. On the whole I prefer the 1980's BBC comedy series starring Michael Elphick called "Private Schultz" - also recently released on DVD.