Born British but not elligible to join the Signals ??? Why??

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by bobber, May 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all. I'm new to the group in that I have just enrolled and waiting to do the BARB test soon. Even though I have a british passport (from birth) but have not lived the past 3 years in the UK I am not elligible to join the signals. I saw that language potential is required, I speak 4 fluently but I am told that I do not pass the security pre-requisites. This I find a bit insulting to tell you the truth. So what if I live in Italy? It's not the middle east for christ's sake.
    Is there anyone out there who can assist? I DESPERATELY want to join the signals.

HELP

2. You would have to be desperate! Tish-boom!

It is the rules and like 995 of all security spawned rules, you will find it impossible to overturn it.

3. Cow

Cow LE

Rules are rules, the Royal Signals deal with protective marked documents/equipment more than the other parts of the Army. They have to be sure that nothing can compromise them. Why not join and then transfer once your are elligible, you may find some other part of the Army is just as rewarding.

I imagine the Intelligence Corp has similar recruiting rules?

4. Not sure why the RSignals would require language potential....

All our Linguists went to the Int Corps some time ago, try the Int Corps....

Or you may have to join up for a bit and then transfer.

5. Given the number of subversives we have living in this country it is bizarre, but as said before, rules is rules.

How do all of the foreign IT contractors get their SC?

6. What languages and which countrys have you been in

7. If your determined then move here for 3 big ones.

8. Born and raised in Switzerland where I learnt German and the swiss dialect. My mother's Italian and we moved here 10 years ago. I'm 21 now.

I believe the Int. Corps have the same security restriction. A solution would be to start somewhere else and transfer but I have seen on this forum that not always is it wise to swap after 2 or 3 years.

What is the overall impression of the RMP??

9. msr

msr LE

Poor.

msr

10. Poor? Why's that then?

11. Because they spoil our fun.

12. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Bullied, spotty, ginger kids at school. Problems in social circles, penchant for grassing up their oppo's to climb the greasy pole.

13. Y'see? Long-winded and verbose, although, unlike most Scaleys, able to spell and punctuate correctly.

However, that does not get us away from the fact that your comment could have been summed up in 5 letters.

C-U-N-T-S

:wink:

14. From a recruiting perspective, this is purely down to a phone call, your lack of UK residency is the reason that you are not eligible for SC cleared CEG's (employment or trades).

As it stands at the moment, the regulations state that you must have 5 years continuous residency in the UK, however all's it takes is for the recruiter to ring the Selection officer for the particular Corps that you want to join and if he or she is satisfied with what you have to offer (especially relevant where the Int Corps is concerned) then they can grant permission for enlistment, to the recruiter it is just termed a "shading reference" and is provisional authority to proceed with your application.

If its languages you want to develop then the Int Corps is the way forward but they are picky about who they give shading references to and in most cases, vet applications like this by looking at what languages they currently need, the complexity of the languages you already speak and also the potential for you to be able to learn the languages they want ;)

Not many get the permission you are likely to need :)

15. I thought you said you spoke four languages fluently?

Whats the difference with German & Swiss German, except for a dialect.
    The Bavarians & the Allgäuers have stronger dialects than the Swiss, but it's still classed as German.

If you class Swiss German as a seperate language, then you're selling yourself short.
    You could also claim Austrian & South Tirolean under those preconceptions. :D

Now on the other hand, if you could speak Pashtun or Pakistani, you'd be in like a rat down a sewer :)