Boris wins!

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
As a "normal" Londoner I can only say "Thank **** for that". The thought of my hard earned going to support Ken's lefty policies was really worrying me.

As a "normal" Londoner I can only say "Thank **** for that". The thought of my hard earned going to support Ken's lefty policies was really worrying me.
Seconded, with bells on.

Loved Boris' speech, "I said some nice things about you last time we stood here Ken. Fat lot of good it did me."

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Thank **** for that - Not that Boris is Mayor but that Livingstone isnt.

Time to scrap the congestion zone then ? :)

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
When the support for Boris has died down...

Ken was not just 'left' he was Old Left. A dinosaur from the days before Blair re-invented Labour as Thatcher Lite. A complete knacker up against the Tory wet dream pin-up boy.

Yet this clapped out knacker old-style Commie came within a gnats chuff of beating the Tory Boy pin-up?

Serious question - am I alone in being well ****ing alarmed here?

Seems to me Londoners voted for what they didn't want, rather than what they did. A vacuum will be filled, as we physicists say.

When the support for Boris has died down...

Ken was not just 'left' he was Old Left. A dinosaur from the days before Blair re-invented Labour as Thatcher Lite. A complete knacker up against the Tory wet dream pin-up boy.

Yet this clapped out knacker old-style Commie came within a gnats chuff of beating the Tory Boy pin-up?

Serious question - am I alone in being well ****ing alarmed here?

Seems to me Londoners voted for what they didn't want, rather than what they did. A vacuum will be filled, as we physicists say.
Ken is an old communist - proper left as you say.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Boris might come across as a bit of a buffoon but I've always thought he's a very sharp cookie and the buffoonery is a bit of a cover for that. I also think the buffoonery is a good cover for what I suspect is an ambition to be prime minister. And that wouldn't necessary be a bad thing.

- Boris has got good political instincts and can tread the fine line between his political beliefs and what the wider public find acceptable.
- He's good at running a team.
- He concentrates on core issues and doesn't get side tracked into many irrelevancies.
- He runs things to a budget.

And last and by no means least:

- He has political convictions and the courage to state them.

In this day and age - when a lot of politicians resort to weasel words and half-truths - I know what Boris stands for.

I suspect the Conservatives have a statesman in the making - strange thought that might sound - and not just a clever politician. He's evolving all the time and I suspect we haven't seen the finished article yet.

Wordsmith

Ken just packed in politics - well, politics that involves getting elected - in a speech a few minutes ago.

Hooray for (in)sanity now that BJ is back. He may fool us with his Eton buffoonery, but he's a sly, cunning and intelligent player.

M

Mr_Tigger

I thought I was a tolerant person but when Paddock thanked his 'husband' it came as such a shock that the wine that was in my mouth came out of my nose.

I thought I was a tolerant person but when Paddock thanked his 'husband' it came as such a shock that the wine that was in my mouth came out of my nose.
"Wine" was it?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Far_King_L The NAAFI Bar 177
labrat Current Affairs, News and Analysis 44
MrPVRd Current Affairs, News and Analysis 9