Boris wields the sword-maybe!

I seem to remember the UK priding itself on the fact that the CS was apolitical and provided continuity and a 'steady hand' no matter the flavour or experience level of the government.

Allegedly.

The PolSec whos overview I work under is a fanatical Remainer and openly and virulently anti Tory.

The CS have proven that they long ceased to be apolitical.
That is most definitely true of the top echelons, but not of the masses who just get on with it and deliver what they can for the public, despite frequently contradictory instructions.

Last edited:
Allegedly.

The PolSec whos overview I work under is a fanatical Remainer and openly and virulently anti Tory.
A member of the Blairite stay-behind forces then. This is where Tony Blair screwed up - he picked compliant but incompetent people to do his bidding.

The CS have proven that they long ceased to be apolitical.
So we replace them with explicitly partisan appointees and mimic the American way of perpetually doing and undoing the same things?

aardvark64

Old-Salt
... Sedwill has shown himself not to be one of the government's big fans so I am just surprised he has lasted this long.
After the Williamson sacking, he probably had to do a couple of 'reverse ferrets' to keep his job and index-linked pension.

The CS needs a good shake-up, does anyone else see the poison dwarf's sticky mitts all over this?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I think a book by Mark Sedwill in the near future could be quite interesting.
Depends which side of the political fence one happens to be on - as the book is, I suspect, going to be highly biased.

And not the pork sword for once!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
While I have said that I feel Sedwill has over stepped the CS line, I also feel that the CS need to be able to 'talk to power' and not just be Yes Men, so there needs to be a balance. It is no use appointing Yes men who will toe the Tory Party line in place of men who toe the Labour line. Balance and neutrality is key. IMO.

Depends which side of the political fence one happens to be on - as the book is, I suspect, going to be highly biased.
You have made that assumption based on no book being published and me making a passing comment.
Regardless of where you sit on the political spectrum, it should be of interest and I would imagine that it will span several governments and parties.

You need to be a little more open minded.

While I have said that I feel Sedwill has over stepped the CS line, I also feel that the CS need to be able to 'talk to power' and not just be Yes Men, so there needs to be a balance. It is no use appointing Yes men who will toe the Tory Party line in place of men who toe the Labour line. Balance and neutrality is key. IMO.
And there's your problem. Once that apoliticality? Apoliticalness? Whatever the word is is gone, how can you have confidence that they're telling you it's a bad idea, because it's a bad idea? In fact, I'm not sure it even has to have disappeared, all that's required is the perception it's disappeared.

I'm really not keen to see US-style revolving-door appointments, but the only solution to that is for the CS to be visibly beyond reproach in their neutrality. I don't see that as inconsistent with disagreeing with policy, in fact, I'd see that as enhancing the credibility of such disagreement when it does arise.

You have made that assumption based on no book being published and me making a passing comment.
Regardless of where you sit on the political spectrum, it should be of interest and I would imagine that it will span several governments and parties.

You need to be a little more open minded.
Any book by Sedwill will not be appearing on a bookshelf anywhere near me.

So we replace them with explicitly partisan appointees and mimic the American way of perpetually doing and undoing the same things?
No we replace them with ones that once told what the governments plans are, make their objections and recommendations, then do what they have been told. Not as currently is the case, when the PM, is out sick, work to overturn government policy on Brexit.

Any book by Sedwill will not be appearing on a bookshelf anywhere near me.
Just read books that agree with your current train of thought. That’s sure to broaden your horizons and educate you.

4(T)

LE

The problem is that, as with most British institutions, it took centuries to build a reputation and ethos, but only a generation or so in which to destroy them.

IMHO there is probably no chance at all of returning to an apolitical CS, and certainly none of the current political parties would be competent or altruistic enough to oversee such a reversion.

Unfortunately, that altruism and lack of bias has been so undermined by partisan CS mandarins that it's probably impossible to get it back, as any action, be that by politicians or the CS, will be seen as being to further one or the other's agenda.

E2A: beaten to it by @4(T).

So the UK moves closer to US-style government administration. I seem to remember the UK priding itself on the fact that the CS was apolitical and provided continuity and a 'steady hand' no matter the flavour or experience level of the government. Now it appears that a new government will instead put in its own political appointees who are aligned with the views and policies of the dear leader, and who will then be removed with their boss when he/she eventually goes.
What do you do when the CS have undermined the government and the population?

What do you do when the CS have undermined the government and the population?
Get a new CS! Doesn't really help though, as the replacements will either be acolytes of the administration that appoints them, inexperienced and therefore ineffective, or untrusted by the administration.

Latest Threads