Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Boris wields the sword-maybe!

So the UK moves closer to US-style government administration. I seem to remember the UK priding itself on the fact that the CS was apolitical and provided continuity and a 'steady hand' no matter the flavour or experience level of the government. Now it appears that a new government will instead put in its own political appointees who are aligned with the views and policies of the dear leader, and who will then be removed with their boss when he/she eventually goes.

So the UK moves closer to US-style government administration. I seem to remember the UK priding itself on the fact that the CS was apolitical and provided continuity and a 'steady hand' no matter the flavour or experience level of the government. Now it appears that a new government will instead put in its own political appointees who are aligned with the views and policies of the dear leader, and who will then be removed with their boss when he/she eventually goes.
I think you’ll find that started to happen in 1997 and has been a problem since. Another toxic Blair legacy. This needs to happen, frankly.

Blair politicised it ( the first division were that way inclined anyway, but Tone gave them permission to be the “ opposition”.for when labour would be ousted, and to carry the flag until labour get back in again)
The days of an apolitical CS died then.

Did we not have stories some time ago of the CS actively working against the present government?

That may have been an issue if the CS, certainly the upper levels of CS, had remained apolitical. As Cold Collation says, this really became the norm during Blair's time.

If a PM can't sack a senior CS, that would put the CS in a very powerful and unanswerable position.

Where a senior civil servant has openly declared themselves to be against the policies of the government then go they should. By all means have an opinion but keep it close to one's chest. Sedwill has shown himself not to be one of the government's big fans so I am just surprised he has lasted this long.

Certainly there those in the Home Office CS who should be getting the boot.

Philip Ruttnam has already gone; as I've said on here before, both Mathew Rycroft and Shona Dunn seem to be making a pretty good team at the top. Preeti Patel seems to have forged an effective working relationship with them both. The weakest link is Border Force, where neither the DG nor the COO have exactly covered themselves in glory.

People clearly have their heads up their arses if they think the Civil service are apolitical after the performance of Senior staff in the last 4-5 years.

ETA:
Oily Robbins

Close the thread.