Boris under fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

endure

GCM
If I was Boris I'd spend the next 12 months destroying the potential for his main contenders for the Party Leadership, one by one. I don't count any of those you mention as true contenders, particularly Hunt & Gove who Boris has already sidelined.
The problem with destroying all of his competitors is that when he eventually does go there'll be nobody competent to replace him. Jolly japes for Boris, much less so for the people of the UK.

You don't know what he would have been doing if he hadn't been where he was. You also don't know if he would have breeched covid rules.

Spurious argument. Stick to facts and stop presuming.
Its you that started the presuming.

SKS to me is still unelectable. His position more untenable. The image of him taking the BLM knee is seared into my mind when folk mention him.
I would ask why that bothers you, but...

Aaaand...

Whataboutery.

I rest my case.

Starmer isn't running the country; there are no life and death matters requiring his presence. He is not the PM.

The buck stops at No. 10.

Can you source your statement about SKS being absent for nine times? And back up your assertation that Johnsons daytrip to Afghanistan was planned months in advance?

The reason I ask is that I doubt it was.

The FOI request submitted to the FCO refused to give such detail.

"Johnson said he would “lie down with you in front of bulldozers” to prevent it being built, as the airport is close to his Uxbridge and South Ruislip constituency.

Under collective responsibility cabinet ministers must vote with the government on key issues, meaning Johnson would have had to resign as foreign secretary to oppose the project."

I responded to your (and others) previous waffle about Boris's visit to Afghanistan ages ago.
I have handled the Op Order for a VVIP visit to a Theatre (Tony Blair to Iraq) doing my bit for the G4 planning. They are large documents (ISTR the one I looked at was approx. 130 pages) with a classification above Restricted. (I can't recall what it actually was, probably Secret, possibly Top Secret).
I will not disclose what is involved in the planning and execution of such a visit as doing so could compromise any future VVIP planning. Suffice to say a crap load of planning (across G1, G2, G3, G4,G5, G6, G8 and G9 branches) is required, as well as a large number of people spending loads of man hours doing "stuff" (including weeks if not months of extra boots on the ground) before a visit is authorised (it's not the VVIP who has the final say on a visit). These things literally takes months to plan, there is no way any PM could just jump on a flight, even with a couple of weeks notice.

By it's very nature it's not. You specifically asked for another politician, now I'm pretty certain Starmer is indeed another politician.
No, I asked for another politician who has been so derelict in performance of his duties, avoided his responsibilities to the degree he has ( missing the first five CV COBRA meetings, hiding in a fridge, running off to Afghanistan for a single day to avoid a tricky vote, etc) and being fined for breaking the laws he made while in Office.
Has Starmer not voted in the Covid regulations bills (Answer: I found about 7-8 Cv19 bills in that list, Starmer voted Aye in all but one case)? Because that was pretty life and death to many. If he voted in them, then by its nature he is determining if we had Covid run riot through the country or not, and thus life or death.

Starmer's vote had zero impact on the ensuing regulations. The Tory Majority ensured that.

Well as there's people on here who were involved in planning it, it also makes sense that you don't just go swanning around an active war zone without a little bit of forethought.
Ah, the old "tap tap, nudge nudge..."

Seems rather convenient and as mentioned, the FCO declined to give the information.

Well challenged, I'd got it wrong, its only six times he's isolated.
Not a bad attempt at a subtle change of meaning: I read your comment "Starmer has form for suddenly isolating when things go a bit shitty for him" as implying he simply did a Johnson and hid, rather than self isolating for valid reasons

You seemed to be inferring SKS only self isolated when things became "difficult".

You don't know what he would have been doing if he hadn't been where he was. You also don't know if he would have breeched covid rules.

Spurious argument. Stick to facts and stop presuming.
I'm just saying what seems to have occurred; dinner at a Constituency office after a long working day.

No "if he wasn't there he might have done so and so".

Just stating fact. She isolated the day after Johnson partied. My loyalty and support is directed to Her Majesty, not Johnson.

And you mentioned your isolation had nothing to do with Johnson.

He made the rules. It had everything to do with him.

And you're not supposed to say "twat" in

I'm still on the thread; if i was awarded points, they're worth it.

Back in 95, John Major told his back benchers to put up or shut up, after winning his no confidence vote.
He remained as PM, until 97, when he lost the GE to Bliar.
Can Boris hold out til 2024?

D

Deleted 139028

Back in 95, John Major told his back benchers to put up or shut up, after winning his no confidence vote.
He remained as PM, until 97, when he lost the GE to Bliar.
Can Boris hold out til 2024?
If he can avoid doing anything stupid then yes. I doubt however he can manage that :)

I did make a point earlier about the lack of time his malcontents in the Party have in which to get rid of him and crown a new leader before the next GE. I reckon if Boris can keep his nose clean for the remainder of this year, probably less, then he will be leading his Party into the next GE.

there is no way any PM could just jump on a flight, even with a couple of weeks notice.
I could be wrong but I suspect that that is exactly what Gordon Brown did in 2007 when trying to become PM. He was pleasant enough on his visit to the TFH Ops Room (well, ok, Ops Tent) - albeit not especially chatty.

Our current PM (PBUH) made a similar trip (as Foreign Secretary) that happily coincided with an awkward HoC vote about an extra runway at Heathrow - tricky ground if you represent a West London constituency and have promised to lie (sic!) in front of the bulldozers.

These things may be routinely spun up well ahead of time - and for very good reason - but I suspect can be conveniently dealt with at short enough notice when political imperatives make them urgently necessary...

No, I asked for another politician who has been so derelict in performance of his duties, avoided his responsibilities to the degree he has ( missing the first five CV COBRA meetings, hiding in a fridge, running off to Afghanistan for a single day to avoid a tricky vote, etc) and being fined for breaking the laws he made while in Office.
Fail. You forgot to mention the telling-lies-to-parliament bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads