Boris to give green light to a new 'Home Guard' sort of thing

It would need some sort of legislation to enable it, if the government are serious about it. Make civil defence/home guard/whatever it's called volunteers a protected category in employment law (and reservists too while we're at it, might as as well) and mandate Wednesday afternoons off for sports training. Some sort of tax incentive for employers as a carrot too. If they aren't willing to push that through then this effort will wither on the vine.

Maybe a sign of the times, no ‘community’ any more. The Aussies I work with who volunteer love it, I did 3 years as a volunteer lifeguard but being part of that club, looking after the people of the community, great social clubs, was a great community.
I imagine that in rural Australia, living in a relatively isolated community, many miles from the next town there is a strong sense of community spirit. I expect too that there is a very real acknowledgment of the fact that any assistance could be a long time arriving, leading to a sense of “If not me, then who else?”
Of course in the UK, being so relatively small, assistance is very quickly on the scene.

I already said that all the different cultures you are citing were from the same continent, use another word than monoculture if you like it makes no difference, just stop missing the point.
Oh, I see... "we're a monoculture because our skin colour is the same we come from the same continent"

Remind me - that "different cultures from the same continent", would those be the same French and Germans who were so similar to us that they killed millions of British during the Napoleonic / First / Second World Wars? As opposed to the "different cultures from different continents" (who by sheer coincidence have different colours of skin, and different religions) that have killed... absolutely rock-all by comparison?

Keep trying.

Last edited:
Britain has always been fairly tribal certainly, but for the most part (apart from the Easter rising) in modern history people have identified as British... The danger nowadays is we have large swathes of society who don't identify as being British and instead identify as being members of other countries... Humans are tribal and violent, they need a national identity to unite them
You might well believe that, as an Englishman.

But there was me thinking that there were an awful lot of people, mostly in England, who habitually confused "Britain" with "England" - "Two world wars and one world cup", etc (I've been to many rugby internationals where the anthems were "Scotland the Brave" for Scotland, but "God Save the Queen" for England). And of course there are a lot of foreigners who have to have it gently explained that no, Scotland is not "part of England". Sad but true. Just because you consider yourself to be EnglishBritish, doesn't mean that the rest of the country thinks the same way

Unfortunately, living in Scotland, we have to put up with the SNP - and every time someone makes a tone-deaf comment about "X years since we won the world cup" / BBC News makes some comment about a 1966 anniversary; or describes Scottish / Welsh / Irish athletes as "British" but English athletes as "English"; or fat, shaven-headed, and pig-ignorant blokes in England strips start waving the St.George's Cross and throwing stuff at the Metropolitan Police; we have to listen to the inevitable chippy whining.

In modern history, people have mostly identified as being English/Scottish/Irish/Welsh - sorry to burst your bubble. I declare myself to be "British" first and "Scottish" second, but I'd suggest that it's far from universal as you say.

PS Geoff Boycott as a worked example - remember all those jokes about expectant mothers being driven "across the border" so that their unborn child might one day play for Yorkshire? Ever worked with a Shetlander?

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
What was the thread about again? I thought that it was about the idea of receiving local volunteers to assist in the event of local emergencies, or local aspects of a national emergency, such as a major industrial fire or widespread criminality.

What on Earth has culture got to do with it? What matters is shared values and shared interests.

What on Earth has culture got to do with it? What matters is shared values and shared interests.

It's about the spectrum of scenarios this formation would be expected to deal, or at least assist, with, which range from natural disasters to national security. Depending on where the line is drawn culture is either irrelevant, since pretty much everyone agrees that flooding and fires are bad, or very relevant because in order to participate as more than concerned bystanders, members would need some level of vetting and access to equipment and information.

Mattb

LE
That sounds like a job for the MVS

Didn’t we use to have a maritime version of the things being discussed anyway? I seem to recall it’s where some of the P2000s started life.

Didn’t we use to have a maritime version of the things being discussed anyway? I seem to recall it’s where some of the P2000s started life.

The precursor of the MVS was the RNXS, Royal Navy Auxiliary Service, which got cut in a defence review. The MVS was founded by previous members of the RNXS to continue their volunteer ethos, they got funding from somewhere and acquired buildings, boats, uniforms etc, and picked up where they left off.

Oh, I see... "we're a monoculture because our skin colour is the same we come from the same continent"

Remind me - that "different cultures from the same continent", would those be the same French and Germans who were so similar to us that they killed millions of British during the Napoleonic / First / Second World Wars? As opposed to the "different cultures from different continents" (who by sheer coincidence have different colours of skin, and different religions) that have killed... absolutely rock-all by comparison?

Keep trying.
War has nothing to do with the question of ethnicity.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I was going to see if I could find a way to contact them, in order to do the 5 month first aid course, then I followed the link about the tartan. All very interesting. I suppose the course is suspended until after the lockdown.
There's even a niche part for @don't tell him pike - "To give aid to widows of all ex-servicemen in poor circumstance."

You might well believe that, as an Englishman.

But there was me thinking that there were an awful lot of people, mostly in England, who habitually confused "Britain" with "England" - "Two world wars and one world cup", etc (I've been to many rugby internationals where the anthems were "Scotland the Brave" for Scotland, but "God Save the Queen" for England). And of course there are a lot of foreigners who have to have it gently explained that no, Scotland is not "part of England". Sad but true. Just because you consider yourself to be EnglishBritish, doesn't mean that the rest of the country thinks the same way

Unfortunately, living in Scotland, we have to put up with the SNP - and every time someone makes a tone-deaf comment about "X years since we won the world cup" / BBC News makes some comment about a 1966 anniversary; or describes Scottish / Welsh / Irish athletes as "British" but English athletes as "English"; or fat, shaven-headed, and pig-ignorant blokes in England strips start waving the St.George's Cross and throwing stuff at the Metropolitan Police; we have to listen to the inevitable chippy whining.

In modern history, people have mostly identified as being English/Scottish/Irish/Welsh - sorry to burst your bubble. I declare myself to be "British" first and "Scottish" second, but I'd suggest that it's far from universal as you say.

PS Geoff Boycott as a worked example - remember all those jokes about expectant mothers being driven "across the border" so that their unborn child might one day play for Yorkshire? Ever worked with a Shetlander?
All true and it has to be said - its not so much they confuse Scotland as part of England - its that they confuse England and Britain - I suspect its because we speak English not British hence were all English speakers = all English* there comes a point where if you live abroad you stop correcting it - and ive been asked numerous times by those who recognise the distinction whether im English or really English**

But of course misses a rather fundemental point that we the English are encouraged to refer to ourselves as British and to the contrary describing yourself as English is equated to being a nationalistic racist - little Englander etc usually by the same people who revel in Scotland wales NI having their own national identity.
Perhaps there would be less irritation on the subject if you were encouraged to identify as British (albiet recognising its from a Scottish bit of Britain) and perhaps more importantly We (the non nazi 99% of England) were allowed to identify with our heritage without being called Bigots (regardless of creed, colour etc.

* Oddly in France this goes further with the whole Les Anglos and its connotations - summarised Prominent speakers from the white*** English Speaking nations excluding ireland (celtic) eg Pritti Patel, Barak Obama etc are refered to as being Anglo saxons

**I once attempted to preempt this and explain the differrence between English/ scots etc - British Isles - Britain, Great Britain, and the UK - Note to all be careful about using the phrase theres who you call english and then like me the real English - I was fortunatly able to continue long enough to establish i was simply reffering to geographic based nationality not race based. -

*** As in population is of predominantly white European descent

I'm almost certain that late last year I saw a news report on the TV saying that Boris is going to give the green light to create a 'Home Guard' type of thing...which would be used primarily in a sort of support role ... presumably taking on the sort of things the reserve are doing as they themselves start do do more actual soldiering to take up the slack left by the cutbacks to the regular Army.

Can anyone else remember this or did I dream the whole thing?

I'd certainly be up for joining
MPGS?