Boris to give green light to a new 'Home Guard' sort of thing

Wasn't that the idea behind PCSOs?
Problem is PCSO are just a group of mini want to be coppers getting work experience and getting involved in shitty altercations they have no business being in and needing the actual police to sort their mess out.

Perhaps a PCSO should be assigned as a coppers PA.

Yokel

LE
Problem is PCSO are just a group of mini want to be coppers getting work experience and getting involved in shitty altercations they have no business being in and needing the actual police to sort their mess out.

Perhaps a PCSO should be assigned as a coppers PA.

I thought that the PCSO was there for low level crime prevention roles that do not require full Police training or powers of arrest? I knew a bloke who became a PCSO for a year or so and used it as a stepping stone to becoming a proper Copper.

Do they help with things like traffic control after accidents and during over incidents?

Last edited:
I'm almost certain that late last year I saw a news report on the TV saying that Boris is going to give the green light to create a 'Home Guard' type of thing...which would be used primarily in a sort of support role ... presumably taking on the sort of things the reserve are doing as they themselves start do do more actual soldiering to take up the slack left by the cutbacks to the regular Army.

Can anyone else remember this or did I dream the whole thing?

I'd certainly be up for joining

Yes I am recruiting for it now, if you send me your name & Address and bank account sort and account details I will sign you up and make sure that you are paid

Archie

...Really? There was me thinking that the Swiss spoke four different languages and used their "arming the public" conscription to unify the nation, rather than the other way around. Or that there weren't Druze, Christian, and Muslim populations in Israel. And in case your comment was aimed at "multiculturalism" or "social experiments", then I'd suggest that the UK has always been fvcked by your definition.

Look at union activity during the period between the start of WW2 and Barbarossa, when Stalin and Hitler were allies and the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact was still in force (strikes, lower productivity than after May 1941). Take the Scottish Nationalists, many of whom opposed conscription, and some of whom genuinely believed that a German victory was the best hope for an independent Scotland (and perhaps in the case of their leader of the time, a "Final Solution for the Catholic problem") - and that's before you look at traitorous scum like Oswald Mosley. Go back to WW1, and you had the Easter Rising of 1916, leading to the separation of most of a country from the UK.

(Sarcasm, for the irony-impaired) Britain has never been a monoculture, not since those damn Romans / Saxons / Normans swarmed over in their immigrant boats and swamped the True Britons. Drive out all those English and Gaelic speakers, let's get back to Pictish!
That's not what " monoculture" means in this context, it means all the historic invasions were from similar European cultures which integrated to form Britain as the united kingdom, it obviously does mean we all should be Picts or Celts, that is the childish argument used to justify mass immigration.

That's not what " monoculture" means in this context, it means all the historic invasions were from similar European cultures which integrated to form Britain as the united kingdom, it obviously does mean we all should be Picts or Celts, that is the childish argument used to justify mass immigration.
What, you're suggesting that the Romans "integrated" the Celts? Strange, I thought they massacred the Druids. And the successful "integration from a similar culture" was presumably demonstrated by Boadicea's revolt? Are you going to suggest that the non-Christian Scandinavians burning all those Christian monasteries were a reflection of a "similar culture"? Ever been to the Jorvik Centre in York?

Similarly, suggesting that the Normans "integrated" the Saxons is...challenging. It's called the Norman Conquest, not the Norman Integration. There have always been large parts of the UK that spoke different languages, had different traditions; Welsh, Irish, Cornish, Gaels, Manx, Shetlanders. Face it, Britain has never been a monoculture - unless your definition of culture is "pale skin".

Stan_Deesey

Old-Salt
I was going to see if I could find a way to contact them, in order to do the 5 month first aid course, then I followed the link about the tartan. All very interesting. I suppose the course is suspended until after the lockdown.

Were you really interested in joining the Legion of Frontiersmen? You do realise it´s a walty organisation don´t you? It´s been discussed to death on another forum.

It´s an old website, (2004), and not very professional, so much of the information could be out of date. I would presume that the five month medic course is part-time. It doesn´t state who certifies them as medics though. There was no way of contacting the organisation - I couldn´t find a telephone number or e-mail address. I wanted to contact them to ask how they came by the right to call themselves Yeomanry.

I´d also be interested as to how many people they have in their ´Highland Brigade´. Maybe the term brigade in the LoF is a fluid concept, like it is in the British Army these days.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Has someone sidled up to Boris and suggested
"Are you sure that's terribly wise, sir?"
Who do you think you are kidding mr Johnson:???:

Were you really interested in joining the Legion of Frontiersmen? You do realise it´s a walty organisation don´t you? It´s been discussed to death on another forum.

It´s an old website, (2004), and not very professional, so much of the information could be out of date. I would presume that the five month medic course is part-time. It doesn´t state who certifies them as medics though. There was no way of contacting the organisation - I couldn´t find a telephone number or e-mail address. I wanted to contact them to ask how they came by the right to call themselves Yeomanry.

I´d also be interested as to how many people they have in their ´Highland Brigade´. Maybe the term brigade in the LoF is a fluid concept, like it is in the British Army these days.
Thanks, I'll avoid it. I did wonder when I read their comments about the Jacobites on the Tartan page.

What, you're suggesting that the Romans "integrated" the Celts? Strange, I thought they massacred the Druids. And the successful "integration from a similar culture" was presumably demonstrated by Boadicea's revolt? Are you going to suggest that the non-Christian Scandinavians burning all those Christian monasteries were a reflection of a "similar culture"? Ever been to the Jorvik Centre in York?

Similarly, suggesting that the Normans "integrated" the Saxons is...challenging. It's called the Norman Conquest, not the Norman Integration. There have always been large parts of the UK that spoke different languages, had different traditions; Welsh, Irish, Cornish, Gaels, Manx, Shetlanders. Face it, Britain has never been a monoculture - unless your definition of culture is "pale skin".

Britain has always been fairly tribal certainly, but for the most part (apart from the Easter rising) in modern history people have identified as British. Then the UK referendum ended up with a UK win. The difference with the Normans/Saxons/Vikings was that it wasn't a good time, rather violent in fact.

The danger nowadays is we have large swathes of society who don't identify as being British and instead identify as being members of other countries, many of which have no love for British values. In the worst case many of them are openly hostile to the idea of being British and would happily see the county destroyed.

Just have a look at what's happening at that school in London and the other one in Yorkshire.

I fear we're building the funeral pyre of future generations with all this woke bs. Humans are tribal and violent, they need a national identity to unite them, otherwise you end up with a situation like Kosovo.

I already said that all the different cultures you are citing were from the same continent, use another word than monoculture if you like it makes no difference, just stop missing the point.

Why does it need to be military, Australia has SES, State Emergency Services and RFS, Rural Fire Services, voluntary, those who do volunteer are usually supported by their employers (volunteer leave etc).
I could foresee that being problematic in the UK. There used to be an auxiliary fire service that was comprised mostly of volunteers, it was disbanded in 1968 and it’s equipment gradually mothballed and ultimately scrapped or sold off. The green goddess appliances being some of the last remnants which eventually went to private collectors or countries in the developing world.
So apart from a dearth of vehicles and kit, there is also a long standing and current issue recruiting and retaining on call (part time) firefighters in the UK for numerous reasons. Even the better paying services see a large turnover of staff.
Devon and Somerset FRS were on the cusp of closing eight part time stations recently and five will get you ten that one of the justifications was that the trucks were off the run for significant periods of time due to lack of crew availability. It’s a problem I see a lot in my area. In the end they got a reprieve with only one being shut and an ongoing review for the rest.
In summary, if paid part time staff aren’t staying, I’m not sure how long volunteers would last.
I have known guys who do mountain rescue volunteering, fair play to them, the cover they give and the time commitment is substantial, it’s more of a way of life than a hobby. I certainly wouldn’t want that level of commitment whilst holding down a job and still expect to have any family time.

I could foresee that being problematic in the UK. There used to be an auxiliary fire service that was comprised mostly of volunteers, it was disbanded in 1968 and it’s equipment gradually mothballed and ultimately scrapped or sold off. The green goddess appliances being some of the last remnants which eventually went to private collectors or countries in the developing world.
So apart from a dearth of vehicles and kit, there is also a long standing and current issue recruiting and retaining on call (part time) firefighters in the UK for numerous reasons. Even the better paying services see a large turnover of staff.
Devon and Somerset FRS were on the cusp of closing eight part time stations recently and five will get you ten that one of the justifications was that the trucks were off the run for significant periods of time due to lack of crew availability. It’s a problem I see a lot in my area. In the end they got a reprieve with only one being shut and an ongoing review for the rest.
In summary, if paid part time staff aren’t staying, I’m not sure how long volunteers would last.
I have known guys who do mountain rescue volunteering, fair play to them, the cover they give and the time commitment is substantial, it’s more of a way of life than a hobby. I certainly wouldn’t want that level of commitment whilst holding down a job and still expect to have any family time.
Maybe a sign of the times, no ‘community’ any more. The Aussies I work with who volunteer love it, I did 3 years as a volunteer lifeguard but being part of that club, looking after the people of the community, great social clubs, was a great community.