Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boris to fix NHS Pension cap of £1.1m

So the headline today is Boris will fix the NHS Pension cap that’s cause some doctors to refuse to work.

So let’s clear up a few pointers. A pension fund of £1.0m pays a pension of £50.000 per annum.

If you saved £350.00 per month from the age of 30 to retirement, you would have a pension pot of £206,000.00 paying £26,000 per annum. Your average couple working in the private sector will not achieve this. A pension pot of less than£134,000 means you are retiring and basically can’t afford to live.

So let’s just pull the statement apart in the press. Who are these ‘some doctors’? Well. It’s every doctor in the NHS. GPS have been exiting the NHS at a rate of knots since the pension cap was introduced in 1989 as once they hit 55 their pension stops increasing.

Anyone wondered how many doctors there are In the NHS? Well it’s estimated to be 150,000. 3,500 took early retirement between 2016-2018. The public purse had to find 3,500 x £1.1m to fund that and they have been leaving in droves at 55 years of age for years.

I’m sure they work hard and deserve every penny they get and I wish I’d studied hard and been a doctor.

Hopefully a few more facts about our wonderful NHS and it’s true cost will creep out. It’s an essential service, but it’s also a crock of shit.

Last edited:
So the headline today is Boris will fix the NHS Pension cap that’s cause some doctors to refuse to work.

So let’s clear up a few pointers. A pension fund of £1.0m pays a pension of £50.000 per annum.

If you saved £350.00 per month from the age of 30 to retirement, you would have a pension pot of £206,000.00 paying £26,000 per annum. You average couple working in the private sector will not achieve this. A pension pot of less than£134,000 means you are retiring and basically can’t afford to live.

So let’s just pull the statement apart in the press. Who are these ‘some doctors’? Well. It’s every doctor in the NHS. GPS have been exiting the NHS at a rate of knots since the pension cap was introduced in 1989 as once they hit 55 their pension stops increasing.

Anyone wondered how many doctors there are In the NHS? Well it’s estimated to be 150,000. 3,500 took early retirement between 2016-2018. The public purse had to find 3,500 x £1.1m to fund that and they have been leaving in droves at 55 years of age for years.

I’m sure they work hard and deserve every penny they get and I wish I’d studied hard and been a doctor.

Hopefully a few more facts about our wonderful NHS and it’s true cost will creep out. It’s an essential service, but it’s also a crock of shit.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make?

Personally, if someone has done well in life then I dont begrudge them getting their just rewards. The complication here is that we are talking about doctors who, like nurses 'can do no wrong!' - I guarantee you, that if BoJo does fix this pension issue for them he will be immediately lambasted by the usual suspects because of all the other trade groups (bankers etc) on similar salary's and pensions will also get the benefit!

Clearly, it needs to be fixed because, not even an Islington hard core marxist Labour supporter would work for nothing! - this is the sort of thing that inadvertently happens when you have a completely muddled taxation policy and fall into the easy mantra of 'tax the rich' - up here in Scotland the SNPee are taxing the beejesus out of the 'middle' and 'top' brackets and the country is now suffering the effects of people taking their money and capital elsewhere.

The whole tax regime in the UK needs to be completely ripped up and simplified - a simpler system and lower taxes will produce far more money for the exchequer.

Well, if the UK is going to be getting £350M back every week, should be easy..

img.jpg

If you saved £350.00 per month from the age of 30 to retirement, you would have a pension pot of £206,000.00 paying £26,000 per annum. Your average couple working in the private sector will not achieve this. A pension pot of less than£134,000 means you are retiring and basically can’t afford to live.

GPs aren’t actually employers by the NHS. GP surgery’s are actually subcontracted by the NHS.

ISTR the phrase ‘pots of gold’ being used when the nhs was created in order to get GPS on board who were against the set up of the NHS.

Blogg

LE
It's not just doctors: SCS, senior Plod, long serving local authority employees, Teachers etc all get hammered.

Crap, overcomplicated tax system = crap outcomes

GPs aren’t actually employers by the NHS. GP surgery’s are actually subcontracted by the NHS.

ISTR the phrase ‘pots of gold’ being used when the nhs was created in order to get GPS on board who were against the set up of the NHS.
If I understood it correctly it's consultants, not GPs in the private sector (which all GPs are).

Your pension figures are wrong.
Too busy to go into detail ATM, but you're off the mark.
And seemingly unaware of the reasons people get an Annual Allowance charge.

It also affects most SO1s and above, some SO2s and some WO1s.

I know a 1* who after his annual tax bill is paid a little less than his starting salary as an SO1...

Well, if the UK is going to be getting £350M back every week, should be easy..

img.jpg
There was another Yank (Kenyan) that try to interfere with UK politics, I wonder what happen there

Not sure when they moved to private practices but I suspect is was post 1989 which is when the pension changes kicked in and GPs started to retire early

Not sure when they moved to private practices but I suspect is was post 1989 which is when the pension changes kicked in and GPs started to retire early

GPs have always been "private practices".

There was another Yank (Kenyan) that try to interfere with UK politics, I wonder what happen there

Any other moon-howling racism you want to bring out?

Pre 89. They went private practice as soon as the nhs was set up. It was part of the deal for them setting up the nhs as the GPS didn’t want it.

The only wholly GP run/owned practices are in hospitals.

Latest Threads