• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Boris to celebrate St Georges Day!

Good on him - don't always agree with Boris 100% but can't fault him this time.

You can't miss St Paddy's day for all the attention it gets but St George's day barely gets a mention.

Great idea but watch for our Islamic mates' to kick off about it, and then let's just observe who gets banged up!!!
That kills me to even type that but it's the sad truth of the spineless nation we live in, unless there is a massive shake up unfortunately we have been reamed too hard for far too long and a poorly organised singular flag waving event although commended to the highest, is not going to reverse years of illusion by minorities who are very fast becoming much more than that. As has been mentioned in another thread, although it more being pointed at the economic problems, things are pretty tense in the country at the moment, I can see this being a potential flashpoint however much I agree with having pride in one's country.

Good drills, Boris! :D

I'm a Jock and proud of it - yes, even after the Calcutta Cup match :oops: - but I see nothing wrong with all nations that make up the UK celebrating their own culture, including their national Saint.

IMHO, each Saint's day should be a national holiday, though that's not going to happen during the current financial cluster-fcuk. :(

I quite like the "Show of Hands" songs.

Time to break out the St. Georges flags and the English customs.... morris dancers, cheese rollers, well dressers, chimney sweeps and tar carriers.

..... and of course conquering other nations sow e can feel guilty about it for years after!!!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
A good day for those of the persuasion to show the world that they are English and proud of it.

I look forward to seas of Union Flag boxer shorts and bikinis, Engerlund football shirts. tattoos covering all the upper torso (and that is just the wimmin :oops: ) and riot police at all junctions.

It will just be like being in Spain or Greece on holiday :p

Enjoy your day fellas.

What about the folk from the Peoples' Republic of Yorkrshire, will they be joining in?

daywalker

LE
Kit Reviewer
Rapierman said:
Great idea but watch for our Islamic mates' to kick off about it, and then let's just observe who gets banged up!!!
That kills me to even type that but it's the sad truth of the spineless nation we live in, unless there is a massive shake up unfortunately we have been reamed too hard for far too long and a poorly organised singular flag waving event although commended to the highest, is not going to reverse years of illusion by minorities who are very fast becoming much more than that. As has been mentioned in another thread, although it more being pointed at the economic problems, things are pretty tense in the country at the moment, I can see this being a potential flashpoint however much I agree with having pride in one's country.
well said that man

"St George's Day is a time to celebrate the very best of everything English and the Cross of St George will proudly fly outside City Hall on April 23."

Errr since when was St George English, I think that those who dwell in Aragon, Catalonia, England, Ethiopia, Georgia, Greece, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, and Russia, as well as the cities of Amersfoort, Beirut, Bteghrine, Cáceres, Ferrara, Freiburg, Genoa, Ljubljana, Gozo, Pomorie, Qormi, Lod and Moscow will disagree with it being an English day.

IMO Londoners would be better putting the time and effort into a celebration on the 10th of May.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
[quote="Trick
IMO Londoners would be better putting the time and effort into a celebration on the 10th of May.[/quote]

My father's birthday - what a wonderful idea!

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Trick, I think St G is just the man for us as we seem to have collected him by accident, which is typical of many things about being English and makes us such a puzzle to everyone else.

Anyway St Andrew was a Palestinian fisherman with a Greek name and St Patrick was a kidnapped Welshman.

BZ Boris.

Latest Threads