Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There'd have been a media frenzy if BoJo had done a cost-benefit analysis.

"How much is a life worth to a Tory?"

"Tories, prioritising business over lives"

"Boris is killing us to keep the chip shops open"
So what? Part of his job is to ignore frivolous headlines that are doomed to be yesterday's chip wrapper.

But if a response is required to the press narrative, let's start with ideas like: "keep visiting rights for the dying and elderly", "trusting people to decide what risk is right for them", "ensuring we don't destroy the education of children that are barely affected by this illness" and finally "let's not collapse our economy and push everything further into debt".

I thought dealing with ******** media frenzies was one of the more fun and intellectually challenging parts of the job TBH, particularly when you knew you were right.

clearly you don't have a clue about company policies on wearing mandatory PPE -at my place of work i have to wear hi viz vest, safety boots, eye protection, hard hat , gloves and ear protection - and yes, I look like a penis in it but no different from the 100s of others and yes, ALL visitors have to wear it too - the point you are trying to make on BoJo is pathetic to say the least
Soho knocking shops aren't what they used to be.

Good grief. The low expectations. I'll have a go at addressing them: I'd argue that it is the state of politics over the last 30 years that has directly caused us to have the current politicians that we have. Would BJ have ever been elected to lead the Conservative party back in the 70s or 80s? Like it not, the conservative party rivals to BJ simply do not have the common touch.

"Media pressure" to do anything you believe is wrong is a crap justification for any leader - or any human being with a moral compass, Absolutely. But few people have the strength of character to go against the grain. for that matter. The office of the PM also has the power to build its own media narrative if it has a compelling message and tries hard enough. Shaping the media narrative is a significant part of the PMs' job. Utter rubbish. Just look at how well that has turned out for creepy joe!

"Political pressure" to enact lockdown did not exist in a vacuum - many of his own backbenchers also exerted political pressure to not lockdown, particularly the second time around in late 2020. He chose to ignore this pressure, until it got so great he'd have lost his majority without Labour's support. The political "pressure" was not all running one way, which offered the PM more choice and leeway than you seem to suggest. I agree to an extent.

He also did not "have" to follow the scientific advice. Utter rubbish. He would have been absolutely slated if he had ignored scientific advice. Politicians are there to use their judgement and represent the interests of the public. Blindly following narrow advice to minimise the spread of one disease will obviously create collateral damage and the whole ******* point of an elected representative is that they should try to create policy which will reflect the totality of the public's interest, rather than the narrow interests of NHS trust leaders or scientists with dubious track records of modelling complex systems. No argument from me there.

"Just like every other country did" is both inaccurate and also crap leadership - worthy of a cliche often given from parents of giddy children along the lines of "if so and so jumped off a cliff would you also do it?"
It's also flat out wrong because the international response has ranged from Hermit Kingdom Zero-Covid (China, NZ, AUS) to **** It Who Cares (Brazil, some bits of USA, bits of Africa) and various stages in between (Sweden). And yet a lot of other countries had far more covid deaths than we did.

I believe that Boris handled Covid poorly and as he's the leader of the Government that I'm paying tax to, that is the judgement that matters most to me, not whether he did a better or worse job than Macron or Biden etc.
And yet the UK under BJ had far fewer deaths than a lot of other nations - once again.
Were the lockdown decisions taken on a whim? Not far from it, IMO. Given the gravity of the lockdown's consequences, I expected much more rigorous cost-benefit analysis,
Absolutely
particularly the second time around in late 2020 when we had a clearer picture of the nature of the disease.

So what? Part of his job is to ignore frivolous headlines that are doomed to be yesterday's chip wrapper.

But if a response is required to the press narrative, let's start with ideas like: "keep visiting rights for the dying and elderly", "trusting people to decide what risk is right for them", "ensuring we don't destroy the education of children that are barely affected by this illness" and finally "let's not collapse our economy and push everything further into debt".

I thought dealing with ******** media frenzies was one of the more fun and intellectually challenging parts of the job TBH, particularly when you knew you were right.
Does Brexit still bother you as well?

And yet the UK under BJ had far fewer deaths than a lot of other nations - once again.

Absolutely
Going against the grain (when appropriate) is something we should at least aspire to in a PM, given the seniority of the job.

Biden's failure to shape the media narrative doesn't mean that it isn't an important part of being a head of Government, it just means he's unsuited to it. The Dems chose poorly.

What I find most disturbing is your assertion he would have been "absolutely slated" for ignoring scientific advice.

Firstly, it isn't necessarily "ignoring" it. You can still take it into account but decide bigger things are in play that override it.

Secondly, yes you will be slated, but again that's part of the political job of media management. You are the PM, not the press. Have some moral courage. Better yet, have at least a functional understanding of statistics and the scientific method. To do so will empower you.

Since Brexit, that's all we've had - media frenzies.

The media elite are determined to remove BoJo before we get another chance to vote for the Tories.

They're crapping their pants in case we vote the wrong way, yet again.

Is a biscuit and half an apple a meal?
is one sausage a meal?
Two lettuce leaves, a pickled onion and half a tomato?
Which would quite probably be left & recycled. none would stop you getting drunk.

That's why things need to be defined.

Good luck with defining what a ******* meal is.

But you make my point, Labour started all that nonsense.

I’m going to disagree. Boris has never registered on my “giveafuckometer” (he’s really not that important to me) so I know very little about him, but I know he wasn’t a total disaster as London Mayor.

It also meant he was the first politician in my life who had actual experience of running a body that has a greater population and budget than many countries.
Google is your friend. The garden bridge is Boris at his profligate best.

Status
Not open for further replies.